Aug 14, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
I’m not sure why they let Andy Martino write for the Daily News. He seems to actually enjoy baseball and is able to take a step back and realize that, for whatever else it means, baseball is entertainment. His colleagues are all comparing Alex Rodriguez to mass murders and are blaming him for ruining absolutely everything and here he is, actually putting things in something close to a reasonable perspective.
That’s why we need A-Rod, his crossover fame, his ability to compel sports talk radio and TMZ, columnists and casual debaters. New York baseball has taken on an elevated feel for only two people this year, Harvey for his sneering dominance, and Rodriguez for the deep reserve of feelings that he arouses in the public, press, commissioners’ office, Yankees’ executive suites, and in clubhouses around major league baseball.
It’s baseball. Baseball is a game. He’s some celebrity. Just watch it. No one will get hurt. Honest.
All of that said: Andy, dude: make your next piece about how A-Rod threatens democracy. I know you don’t believe it, but you gotta get in line or else your editors are gonna fire you.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 19
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)