Aug 14, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
I’m not sure why they let Andy Martino write for the Daily News. He seems to actually enjoy baseball and is able to take a step back and realize that, for whatever else it means, baseball is entertainment. His colleagues are all comparing Alex Rodriguez to mass murders and are blaming him for ruining absolutely everything and here he is, actually putting things in something close to a reasonable perspective.
That’s why we need A-Rod, his crossover fame, his ability to compel sports talk radio and TMZ, columnists and casual debaters. New York baseball has taken on an elevated feel for only two people this year, Harvey for his sneering dominance, and Rodriguez for the deep reserve of feelings that he arouses in the public, press, commissioners’ office, Yankees’ executive suites, and in clubhouses around major league baseball.
It’s baseball. Baseball is a game. He’s some celebrity. Just watch it. No one will get hurt. Honest.
All of that said: Andy, dude: make your next piece about how A-Rod threatens democracy. I know you don’t believe it, but you gotta get in line or else your editors are gonna fire you.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 28
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)