Aug 14, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT
I’m not sure why they let Andy Martino write for the Daily News. He seems to actually enjoy baseball and is able to take a step back and realize that, for whatever else it means, baseball is entertainment. His colleagues are all comparing Alex Rodriguez to mass murders and are blaming him for ruining absolutely everything and here he is, actually putting things in something close to a reasonable perspective.
That’s why we need A-Rod, his crossover fame, his ability to compel sports talk radio and TMZ, columnists and casual debaters. New York baseball has taken on an elevated feel for only two people this year, Harvey for his sneering dominance, and Rodriguez for the deep reserve of feelings that he arouses in the public, press, commissioners’ office, Yankees’ executive suites, and in clubhouses around major league baseball.
It’s baseball. Baseball is a game. He’s some celebrity. Just watch it. No one will get hurt. Honest.
All of that said: Andy, dude: make your next piece about how A-Rod threatens democracy. I know you don’t believe it, but you gotta get in line or else your editors are gonna fire you.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)