Aug 14, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
From Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that top prospect Oscar Taveras will undergo season-ending surgery next week to help the healing of his high right ankle sprain — an injury that has been bothering Taveras since May 12.
Taveras was supposed to light it up at Triple-A Memphis this season and then make his major league debut by the middle of the summer, but he injured his ankle on a hard slide into second base in his 31st game with the Memphis Rebirds and has experienced setback after setback with his rehab.
The 21-year-old Dominican outfielder wound up batting .306/.341/.462 with five home runs, five stolen bases and 32 RBI in a total of 46 games this season in the Pacific Coast League. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 home runs, 10 stolen bases and 94 RBI in 124 games last year at Double-A Springfield.
The Cardinals fully expect Taveras to be ready for the beginning of spring training next February in Jupiter, Florida and he could be the starting center fielder in St. Louis on Opening Day 2014.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)