Aug 14, 2013, 8:53 PM EST
From Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that top prospect Oscar Taveras will undergo season-ending surgery next week to help the healing of his high right ankle sprain — an injury that has been bothering Taveras since May 12.
Taveras was supposed to light it up at Triple-A Memphis this season and then make his major league debut by the middle of the summer, but he injured his ankle on a hard slide into second base in his 31st game with the Memphis Rebirds and has experienced setback after setback with his rehab.
The 21-year-old Dominican outfielder wound up batting .306/.341/.462 with five home runs, five stolen bases and 32 RBI in a total of 46 games this season in the Pacific Coast League. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 home runs, 10 stolen bases and 94 RBI in 124 games last year at Double-A Springfield.
The Cardinals fully expect Taveras to be ready for the beginning of spring training next February in Jupiter, Florida and he could be the starting center fielder in St. Louis on Opening Day 2014.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)