Aug 14, 2013, 8:53 PM EDT
From Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch comes word that top prospect Oscar Taveras will undergo season-ending surgery next week to help the healing of his high right ankle sprain — an injury that has been bothering Taveras since May 12.
Taveras was supposed to light it up at Triple-A Memphis this season and then make his major league debut by the middle of the summer, but he injured his ankle on a hard slide into second base in his 31st game with the Memphis Rebirds and has experienced setback after setback with his rehab.
The 21-year-old Dominican outfielder wound up batting .306/.341/.462 with five home runs, five stolen bases and 32 RBI in a total of 46 games this season in the Pacific Coast League. He hit .321/.380/.572 with 23 home runs, 10 stolen bases and 94 RBI in 124 games last year at Double-A Springfield.
The Cardinals fully expect Taveras to be ready for the beginning of spring training next February in Jupiter, Florida and he could be the starting center fielder in St. Louis on Opening Day 2014.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 65
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)