Aug 14, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
As expected Delmon Young passed through waivers unclaimed after being designated for assignment last week. He then rejected an assignment to the minors, at which point the Phillies released him.
Young’s contract was cheap enough that if any team thought he had any sort of meaningful value they could have claimed him off waivers, so this isn’t exactly a great sign for his career at age 27.
He hasn’t been a viable regular since 2010, hitting just .266 with a .299 on-base percentage and .402 slugging percentage (plus awful defense) in 355 games during that time, and the market for platoon should-be designated hitters with mediocre power and zero plate discipline tends to be pretty limited.
Mazel tov to the Phillies for moving on.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)