Aug 14, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Not so long ago Bonifacio looked like a potential everyday player, but the speedy switch-hitter has been terrible this season while batting .218 with three homers and a .579 OPS in 94 games for the Blue Jays after coming over from the Marlins in the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle/Josh Johnson blockbuster.
Miguel Tejada being on the disabled list motivated the Royals to add the 39-year-old Carroll, but Bonifacio might be viewed as an alternative to Chris Getz at second base. Or maybe they just wanted some more speed and defensive versatility on the bench.
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 19
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)