Aug 14, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
Not so long ago Bonifacio looked like a potential everyday player, but the speedy switch-hitter has been terrible this season while batting .218 with three homers and a .579 OPS in 94 games for the Blue Jays after coming over from the Marlins in the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle/Josh Johnson blockbuster.
Miguel Tejada being on the disabled list motivated the Royals to add the 39-year-old Carroll, but Bonifacio might be viewed as an alternative to Chris Getz at second base. Or maybe they just wanted some more speed and defensive versatility on the bench.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)