Aug 14, 2013, 1:16 PM EDT
Not so long ago Bonifacio looked like a potential everyday player, but the speedy switch-hitter has been terrible this season while batting .218 with three homers and a .579 OPS in 94 games for the Blue Jays after coming over from the Marlins in the Jose Reyes/Mark Buehrle/Josh Johnson blockbuster.
Miguel Tejada being on the disabled list motivated the Royals to add the 39-year-old Carroll, but Bonifacio might be viewed as an alternative to Chris Getz at second base. Or maybe they just wanted some more speed and defensive versatility on the bench.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)