Skip Schumaker defends Albert Pujols

Aug 14, 2013, 9:44 AM EST

Albert Pujols AP AP

Skip Schumaker, who had some really scathing comments directed at drug cheats following the Biogenesis suspensions, has come to the defense of another player accused of PED use: former teammate Albert Pujols. Ken Rosenthal relays Schumaker’s comments:

“He’s the most honest guy I’ve ever been around,” Schumaker said. “He’s a solid human being, a solid Christian. What he says is the truth. I’m 100 percent behind Albert. Everyone who has played with him is 100 percent behind Albert. What Jack is doing is wrong.”

That’s admirable, and I agree with him that Clark’s accusations are wrong. But I’m not sure how anyone, a teammate included, could be so sure of such things. Just as it is nonsense to say someone is dirty because of their stat line, body composition and injury history it is wrong to say that someone is clean because they’re a “solid human being, solid Christian” or because they were a good teammate.

One thing and on thing only justifies us talking authoritatively about a player’s PED use: evidence of their PED use. That’s it.

1. jarathen - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Belief in a higher being automagically makes you a better person who would never lie, of course. Why would anyone tell the truth otherwise?

• jojokamish321 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Schumaker never said he never lies. If you’ve met a Christian who claims they have never lied, then I apologize on their behalf.

• jarathen - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I’m being facetious, of course, but I don’t know why Schumaker thinks it’s necessary to throw that in there. We all know Pujols is Christian, that it’s an important part of his life. Schumaker just doesn’t need to make sure we all remember as some kind of proof he didn’t lie.

2. rickdobrydney - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Why would anyone take anything seriously Schumaker ? A self-obsessed jerk of the highest order—-

3. rickdobrydney - Aug 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Said by Schumaker—

4. voteforno6 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

“Raymond Sh…er, Albert Pujols is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I’ve ever known in my life.”

– Skip Schumaker

• aceshigh11 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Genius!

“Skip…why don’t you pass the time by playing a little Solitaire?”

Where’s Frank Sinatra when you need him??

• voteforno6 - Aug 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I think he’s attending a lecture on hydrangeas.

• km9000 - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I think he’s at the ballgame with Gene.

5. whitecastleisafoodgroup - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Let’s hope his stance and belief in his buddie works out better than it did for Aaron Rodgers.

6. Glenn - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I understand that Andy Pettitte is a a solid human being and a solid Christian. So he didn’t use PEDs, right?

7. aceshigh11 - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

“…a solid Christian.”

Riiight.

Like Jimmy Swaggart? Jim Bakker? David Vitter? Mark Sanford? Bill Clinton? Jon Corzine?

No Christian has clearly EVER lied.

For the record: I believe Pujols, but it’s NOT because he’s a Christian. If anything, that defense makes me LESS inclined to believe someone’s words.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

But that’s you and has nothing to do with him or his faith.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I think Pujols is a standup guy…I just don’t see why his religious faith is being thrown out there by Schumaker as evidence of his “standup-edness”.

The list of scumbags (in politics, sports, entertainment) who self-identify as Christian is way too long to list for it be used as anything other than a punchline.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And there’s a lot of great people of faith out there too. I’m not vouching for either of these guys. I’m just pointing out that the bias against people of faith is in you and it isn’t necessarily about Pujols himself or his actions. I think Les Miles — who self identifies as a Christian — is a total jackass, but I don’t blame Christianity that he is that way. It’s all Miles, as far as I’m concerned. You don’t have to judge everyone because of the actions of some. That’s all I’m saying.

• skids003 - Aug 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I thought Clinton was the poster boy for liberals, why did you group him in there aces?

• aceshigh11 - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:08 PM

1. Only a right-wing extremist with no understanding of U.S. history or of liberalism would consider Clinton a “liberal”.

By historical standards, he governed like an Eisenhower/Nixon Republican.

2. I know of no one who says Clinton didn’t lie about his affair. The entire point of contention is what he was lying about, and whether it rose to an impeachable offense.

• skids003 - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That’s the funniest crap I’ve read all week. Clinton is not a liberal? Now I’ve heard it all.

I guess it’s what ever your definition of “is” a liberal, “is”.

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

aceshigh11, you have Hitler and Stalin on your side. Congrats, you win!

• aceshigh11 - Aug 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Typical nonsense to deflect from the issue at hand.

Hitler wasn’t an atheist, by the way.

• historiophiliac - Aug 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Seriously, Doc? I have to call you out too? Dang, peeps.

8. babyfarkmcgeezax - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Forget the steroid accusations. Pujols deserves to be forever ridiculed simply for allowing himself to be used as a prop at that God-forsaken Glenn Beck Tea Party rally in Washington a few years back.

• skids003 - Aug 14, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Better than going to the White House and being used as a prop there.

9. pbastille - Aug 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

If Albert took ‘roids when he played for St. Louis, would that mean he cheated at Cards?

10. yankee172 - Aug 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Why do we care what Skip Schumaker says about anything all of a sudden?

• raysfan1 - Aug 14, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Same reason anyone cares what Jack Clark said.

11. uwsptke - Aug 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Oh, so Schumaker’s PED rant against Braun was also because he was Jewish. Got it.

• yashraba - Aug 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM

perhaps it was more about Braun’s state of matter. Pujols is “a solid” Christian where as Braun was clearly full of gas

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5383)