Aug 14, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Skip Schumaker, who had some really scathing comments directed at drug cheats following the Biogenesis suspensions, has come to the defense of another player accused of PED use: former teammate Albert Pujols. Ken Rosenthal relays Schumaker’s comments:
“He’s the most honest guy I’ve ever been around,” Schumaker said. “He’s a solid human being, a solid Christian. What he says is the truth. I’m 100 percent behind Albert. Everyone who has played with him is 100 percent behind Albert. What Jack is doing is wrong.”
That’s admirable, and I agree with him that Clark’s accusations are wrong. But I’m not sure how anyone, a teammate included, could be so sure of such things. Just as it is nonsense to say someone is dirty because of their stat line, body composition and injury history it is wrong to say that someone is clean because they’re a “solid human being, solid Christian” or because they were a good teammate.
One thing and on thing only justifies us talking authoritatively about a player’s PED use: evidence of their PED use. That’s it.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)