Aug 15, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
During his rapid ascent to the Majors, Giants first baseman Brandon Belt was ranked as highly as the #23 overall prospect by Baseball America prior to the 2011 season. Promoted that same year, Belt took a while to get kickstarted in the Majors. His wrist was fractured on a pitch thrown by Cardinals reliever Trever Miller on May 31 and didn’t return until July 19. He had only limited power between his return and the end of the regular season.
Giants fans, for the most part, were running out of patience with Belt. They wanted results, and they wanted them quickly. Any excitement that had been generated by Belt dissipated and only the most patient stuck with him through the adversity. That patience has been rewarded as he has played quite well throughout the 2013 season. Belt, with a solo home run in today’s victory over the Nationals, boosted his OPS to .826, the fourth-best mark among National League first basemen (min. 300 plate appearances), trailing Paul Goldschmidt, Joey Votto, and Freddie Freeman.
2013 has been disappointing for Giants fans, but the breakout season by Belt — the team’s second-best hitter behind Buster Posey — should be encouraging at least.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 1
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 41
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)