Aug 15, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Yadier Molina is off the disabled list and back in the Cardinals’ lineup today for the first time since July 30, returning after missing the minimum 15 days with a sprained right knee.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has said repeatedly that he plans to give Molina more rest than usual down the stretch, although that’s one of those things that tends to be easier said than done if Molina picks up where he left off hitting .330 and the team is fighting for the NL Central title.
St. Louis is just 12-13 when Molina isn’t in the starting lineup this season, compared to 56-38 when he starts, and while those type of numbers tend to overstate the impact one player can make on a baseball team there’s no arguing that he’s one of the most valuable all-around players in the league.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (71)