Aug 15, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Yadier Molina is off the disabled list and back in the Cardinals’ lineup today for the first time since July 30, returning after missing the minimum 15 days with a sprained right knee.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has said repeatedly that he plans to give Molina more rest than usual down the stretch, although that’s one of those things that tends to be easier said than done if Molina picks up where he left off hitting .330 and the team is fighting for the NL Central title.
St. Louis is just 12-13 when Molina isn’t in the starting lineup this season, compared to 56-38 when he starts, and while those type of numbers tend to overstate the impact one player can make on a baseball team there’s no arguing that he’s one of the most valuable all-around players in the league.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 3
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 152
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (155)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)