Cardinals activate Yadier Molina from the disabled list

Aug 15, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

yadier molina getty Getty Images

Yadier Molina is off the disabled list and back in the Cardinals’ lineup today for the first time since July 30, returning after missing the minimum 15 days with a sprained right knee.

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has said repeatedly that he plans to give Molina more rest than usual down the stretch, although that’s one of those things that tends to be easier said than done if Molina picks up where he left off hitting .330 and the team is fighting for the NL Central title.

St. Louis is just 12-13 when Molina isn’t in the starting lineup this season, compared to 56-38 when he starts, and while those type of numbers tend to overstate the impact one player can make on a baseball team there’s no arguing that he’s one of the most valuable all-around players in the league.

1. stex52 - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Welcome back, Yadi. Now get out there and win some games! And, BTW, get me some points for my fantasy team.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Well, we all need our fantasies…

• donnaturner6566 - Aug 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Only seriusly intrested persons required .. please you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem. I have been working with this for a month and have made over $2,000 already. let me know if you need more here you go.. click here as a new agent

2. stlouis1baseball - Aug 15, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Couldn’t come soon enough. Let’s hope he picks up where he left off.
    And if he continues it through the remainder of the year…I don’t see how he isn’t the MVP.
    Of course…he would take a WS trophy over MVP (8) days a week (as would I).

• stex52 - Aug 15, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Hard to imagine him getting the MVP. His power numbers are not so good, and you have to have the flashy stats these days. Note that I am not saying he shouldn’t get it. I think he should. But I don’t see it. Even most people who should know better don’t really appreciate how valuable a really exceptional catcher is.

So lead ‘em into the playoffs, Yadi. You won’t get the MVP. But you have a damn good shot at the HOF down the road.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I have actually heard him being talked up about the MVP Suze. Who knows…could just be lip service. Their losing streak (overall record in general) while he has been gone also speaks to his value. We shall see. But yeah…playoff wins will suffice!

3. kicksave1980 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

He’s easily the most valuable player on any team in the National League, if not the entire MLB. The things he does for the pitching staff is out of this earth, and you can’t run on him. Maybe his power numbers aren’t up there with a lot of guys, but it’s just as important to save runs as it is to hit HR’s. I would like to see how many runs he saves the Cardinals on a yearly basis. I’m sure you’d be shocked and amazed.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)