Aug 15, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Phillies starter John Lannan will likely require a stint on the disabled list due to a recurring issue with his left knee. Lannan was only able to record four outs last night against the Braves before being lifted. He missed time earlier this season between April 18 and June 16 with a strained tendon in his left knee, and it seems as if his latest flare-up will require some more recovery time. Lannan will undergo an MRI tomorrow, which will let the Phillies know their course of action.
The word from GM Ruben Amaro, via Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly:
“It appears that he has similar symptoms to those he experienced earlier this season with tendinitis of the patellar tendon,” Amaro said. “We’ll know more after the MRI. It seems likely that he is headed back to the disabled list.”
The good news for the Phillies, who have been ravaged by injuries, is that Roy Halladay is working his way back from shoulder surgery and could eventually earn back a spot in the rotation by early September if everything goes as planned. As Aaron reported on earlier today, Halladay was able to go six innings and throw 87 pitches in a rehab start in the Gulf Coast League.
The Phillies, at 53-67, will simply be using the remaining 42 games to see what they’re dealing with in regards to their younger players and their veterans returning from injuries. Halladay is a free agent after the season, but there has been some speculation that he would return to the Phillies on an incentive-laden deal.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)