Aug 15, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Phillies starter John Lannan will likely require a stint on the disabled list due to a recurring issue with his left knee. Lannan was only able to record four outs last night against the Braves before being lifted. He missed time earlier this season between April 18 and June 16 with a strained tendon in his left knee, and it seems as if his latest flare-up will require some more recovery time. Lannan will undergo an MRI tomorrow, which will let the Phillies know their course of action.
The word from GM Ruben Amaro, via Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly:
“It appears that he has similar symptoms to those he experienced earlier this season with tendinitis of the patellar tendon,” Amaro said. “We’ll know more after the MRI. It seems likely that he is headed back to the disabled list.”
The good news for the Phillies, who have been ravaged by injuries, is that Roy Halladay is working his way back from shoulder surgery and could eventually earn back a spot in the rotation by early September if everything goes as planned. As Aaron reported on earlier today, Halladay was able to go six innings and throw 87 pitches in a rehab start in the Gulf Coast League.
The Phillies, at 53-67, will simply be using the remaining 42 games to see what they’re dealing with in regards to their younger players and their veterans returning from injuries. Halladay is a free agent after the season, but there has been some speculation that he would return to the Phillies on an incentive-laden deal.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 2
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)