Aug 15, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Phillies starter John Lannan will likely require a stint on the disabled list due to a recurring issue with his left knee. Lannan was only able to record four outs last night against the Braves before being lifted. He missed time earlier this season between April 18 and June 16 with a strained tendon in his left knee, and it seems as if his latest flare-up will require some more recovery time. Lannan will undergo an MRI tomorrow, which will let the Phillies know their course of action.
The word from GM Ruben Amaro, via Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly:
“It appears that he has similar symptoms to those he experienced earlier this season with tendinitis of the patellar tendon,” Amaro said. “We’ll know more after the MRI. It seems likely that he is headed back to the disabled list.”
The good news for the Phillies, who have been ravaged by injuries, is that Roy Halladay is working his way back from shoulder surgery and could eventually earn back a spot in the rotation by early September if everything goes as planned. As Aaron reported on earlier today, Halladay was able to go six innings and throw 87 pitches in a rehab start in the Gulf Coast League.
The Phillies, at 53-67, will simply be using the remaining 42 games to see what they’re dealing with in regards to their younger players and their veterans returning from injuries. Halladay is a free agent after the season, but there has been some speculation that he would return to the Phillies on an incentive-laden deal.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)