Aug 15, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Phillies starter John Lannan will likely require a stint on the disabled list due to a recurring issue with his left knee. Lannan was only able to record four outs last night against the Braves before being lifted. He missed time earlier this season between April 18 and June 16 with a strained tendon in his left knee, and it seems as if his latest flare-up will require some more recovery time. Lannan will undergo an MRI tomorrow, which will let the Phillies know their course of action.
The word from GM Ruben Amaro, via Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly:
“It appears that he has similar symptoms to those he experienced earlier this season with tendinitis of the patellar tendon,” Amaro said. “We’ll know more after the MRI. It seems likely that he is headed back to the disabled list.”
The good news for the Phillies, who have been ravaged by injuries, is that Roy Halladay is working his way back from shoulder surgery and could eventually earn back a spot in the rotation by early September if everything goes as planned. As Aaron reported on earlier today, Halladay was able to go six innings and throw 87 pitches in a rehab start in the Gulf Coast League.
The Phillies, at 53-67, will simply be using the remaining 42 games to see what they’re dealing with in regards to their younger players and their veterans returning from injuries. Halladay is a free agent after the season, but there has been some speculation that he would return to the Phillies on an incentive-laden deal.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)