Aug 15, 2013, 4:04 PM EDT
The former head of the umpires is against a challenge system. So too are the men tasked with doing the challenges:
Tony LaRussa told us that after polling MLB Managers most did NOT want MGR’s to have challenges. Did it anyway because they felt best way
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) August 15, 2013
If the managers don’t like it who, exactly, is this best for? And why?
I’ve seen interviews with Bruce Bochy and Bob Melvin so far today, each of which are headlined something to the effect of “manager happy with expanded replay.” But you read the comments and what they’re happy about is the notion of getting wrong calls right. Which is an easy notion to agree with, one would hope.
They both copped to having questions about the details, though. I bet there will be more questions as time goes on. All the while, I bet MLB will talk about how “everyone loves this new system,” much the way they do with the All-Star Game and everything else MLB does. Don’t buy it.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 161
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)