Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
“A lot of people don’t know what’s going on in his life … He’s out there every day, won’t come out of the lineup, no matter what’s going on off the field or on the field. … Us as players, we know what’s really going on. And we appreciate him going out there every day, despite…”
That apparently made some reporters go looking for what might be going on off the field for Fielder. Some of them found it. From the Detroit Free Press:
A day after he declared that “everything’s fine,” news broke that Detroit Tigers first baseman Prince Fielder filed to end his marriage in May. According to court records in Orange County, Fla., Fielder filed a dissolution-of-marriage case on May 28, asking a judge to end his marriage to Chanel Fielder.
Wow, thanks for the tip, Torii. I’m sure Fielder really appreciates that.
But yeah, divorce sucks, and it’s understandable if it has shaken Fielder’s focus at times this season.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)