Aug 15, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
“A lot of people don’t know what’s going on in his life … He’s out there every day, won’t come out of the lineup, no matter what’s going on off the field or on the field. … Us as players, we know what’s really going on. And we appreciate him going out there every day, despite…”
That apparently made some reporters go looking for what might be going on off the field for Fielder. Some of them found it. From the Detroit Free Press:
A day after he declared that “everything’s fine,” news broke that Detroit Tigers first baseman Prince Fielder filed to end his marriage in May. According to court records in Orange County, Fla., Fielder filed a dissolution-of-marriage case on May 28, asking a judge to end his marriage to Chanel Fielder.
Wow, thanks for the tip, Torii. I’m sure Fielder really appreciates that.
But yeah, divorce sucks, and it’s understandable if it has shaken Fielder’s focus at times this season.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (246)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (147)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)