Aug 15, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
Rickie Weeks was debating whether to try the rest-and-rehab route for his torn hamstring or go under the knife, and today he opted for surgery.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Dr. James Andrews did the honors–he works on things other than elbows and shoulders–and Weeks is expected to be sidelined for 4-6 months. Six months would put him deep into February, so he’s no sure thing to be ready for spring training.
And next year will be huge for Weeks because he’s entering the final season of a four-year, $38.5 million deal that pays him $11 million in 2014. There’s also a vesting option for 2015 at $11.5 million that would require him to avoid the disabled list and log 600 plate appearances.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)