Aug 15, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch confirms that the Cardinals are promoting top prospect Kolten Wong from Triple-A Memphis. He will join the team in Chicago tomorrow. In a corresponding move, the Cardinals will option Adron Chambers to Memphis.
Wong was drafted by the Twins in the 16th round of the 2008 draft, but did not sign, opting instead to play at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. The Cardinals drafted him in the first round (22nd overall) of the 2011 draft. The 22-year-old started the year at Triple-A, where he has posted an .835 OPS with 10 home runs and 20 stolen bases in 463 trips to the plate.
In other Cardinals top prospect news, outfielder Oscar Taveras will undergo season-ending surgery on his ailing ankle.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)