Unfazed by comebacker, LaTroy Hawkins still refuses to wear a cup

Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT

LaTroy Hawkins AP

Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins took a comebacker to the manhood area last night against the Dodgers, an experience that Hawkins later said felt like getting “kicked by a mule.”

The Mets, mercifully, granted Hawkins a night off after his incident, but the right-hander seems to have not learned a lesson from any of this. Hawkins told the media today that he still won’t wear a cup. Via ESPN’s Adam Rubin:

“I never have. I never will,” Hawkins said. “I tried it a couple of times in the minor leagues. It wasn’t comfortable. I’ve thrown a lot of innings. I’ve been in a lot of ballgames. This is the first time I got hit. It won’t change.”

Hawkins added, “Me and my wife are done having kids, so we’re good. Twelve years ago I would have.”

I can think of safer ways to sterilize oneself, but to each his own.

1. shawnuel - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM

My question: How does Hawkins know what getting kicked in the stones by a mule feels like?

• Gamera the Brave - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

By using his imaaaaaaaagination…

• Old Gator - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Point set and match, Gam.

2. decimusprime - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Big Blue is hitting every ball in the park! Go Dodgers!

3. gmenfan1982 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

It truly boggles my mind that there are players who don’t wear a cup. Especially since most guys have worn them their entire youth-teen years playing ball.

• b453841l - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Pretty much the same response as Adrian Beltre after he got his right testicle smashed, bloody, and swollen the size of a grapefruit.

On cup use, he said, “I never wore one again until last year after I got hit. It was the first time I was hit. They say I’m crazy not to wear the cup. But I say, if the ball’s going to hit me there every 11 1/2 years, I’ll take my chances.”

• beefytrout - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

All he has to do is give the “Beltre stare” to a baseball, and he has nothing to worry about.

• km9000 - Aug 15, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I don’t know wanna why or how it was disclosed that it was specifically the right one…

• badintent - Aug 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Hawkins =Kim as world’s stupidest man. Bar none.

4. jerze2387 - Aug 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This guy must have balls of steel. literally.

• dondada10 - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Or a protective rod.

5. edelmanfanclub - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Baseball is the most superstitious sport

• eightyraw - Aug 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM

This has absolutely nothing to do with superstition. Wearing a cup is uncomfortable. The chances of a relief pitcher getting hit in the crotch are terribly slim.

• genericcommenter - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Crotch Shots are for Starters!

• eightyraw - Aug 16, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I appreciate the joke. I specified relievers since they hardly ever have to hit.

• km9000 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:36 AM

A – always. B – bear. C – cups. Always bear cups!

6. jodysanchez344 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM

good

7. jodysanchez344 - Aug 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM

only seriusly intrested are welcomed..we hate spammers
    you have to work and use the computer and internet, and if you can do that and dedicate some time each day then you can do this with no problem.
    I have been working with this for a month and have made over $2,000 already. let me know if you need more here you go.http://xurl.es/djvtx.. i need more agents

• pullinteeth - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I did the Dirty Sanchez with Jody’s mom last night. He must hate me because I spammed all over her and got paid $500 a week sitting on their couch, infecting people with malware. YOU CAN TOO! This isn’t one of those scams! You really can make $2000/ month doing the dirty Sanchez with Mrs. Sanchez.

Her cooking is C+ and she doesn’t have THAT many moles. Be warned, however, that she DOES have a mustache after showing me why they named the famous sexual maneuver after her.

8. nbjays - Aug 16, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Sound like he could give Jordany Valdespin lessons in masculinity…. or stupidity.

9. Francisco (FC) - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I can think of safer ways to sterilize oneself, but to each his own.

It’s also the Testosterone producing area… Could this be a stratagem by Hawkins to get MLB to allow him some prescription strength PEDs?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3651)