Aug 16, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
ARod denies “60 Minutes” report that he leaked information about Cervelli and Braun’s involvement w/ Biogenesis.
— Sean McAdam (@Sean_McAdam) August 16, 2013
#AROD flat-out denied that he leaked any names. Also said he spoke to Cervelli this morning to tell him that. Has not spoken to Braun.
— David Lennon (@DPLennon) August 16, 2013
Not that it had to be him personally. Indeed, if such information was leaked “by A-Rod” it was likely from another person privy to it within his circle and could have quite possibly come without A-Rod’s knowledge. The same goes for his lawyer’s denials this morning. Given that A-Rod’s attorneys at one time represented Braun they would not be likely to leak it as a matter of professional ethics.
Which sort of goes to the heart of why I think this is more a story about P.R. than it is about potential future discipline. It would be hard for Major League Baseball to lay this sort of thing at A-Rod’s actual feet if it wanted to in the context of an argument that A-Rod violated the confidentiality rules of the JDA at the upcoming arbitration. If it was part of baseball’s trial strategy it’s likely that they wouldn’t be leaking this now.
After a week of people starting to question whether or not MLB is coming down too hard on Rodriguez, this feels a lot like a reminder from someone that, hey, he’s a bad guy. And he may be. But I don’t think that’s a revelation to anyone.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)