Aug 16, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The Tigers lost to the Royals 2-1 this afternoon, but that wasn’t the most painful part of the afternoon for shortstop Jose Iglesias. In the bottom of the third inning against Royals starter Danny Duffy, Iglesias squared around to bunt in a 1-1 count. Duffy’s fastball ran a little too far inside and caught Iglesias in a sensitive area, as seen in this .gif:
Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins was not available last night after being hit in his sensitive area with a ground ball, and still vowed not to wear a cup. Infielder Jordany Valdespin also had a baseball enter the zone earlier this season.
Moral of the story? Wear a cup.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)