Aug 16, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The Tigers lost to the Royals 2-1 this afternoon, but that wasn’t the most painful part of the afternoon for shortstop Jose Iglesias. In the bottom of the third inning against Royals starter Danny Duffy, Iglesias squared around to bunt in a 1-1 count. Duffy’s fastball ran a little too far inside and caught Iglesias in a sensitive area, as seen in this .gif:
Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins was not available last night after being hit in his sensitive area with a ground ball, and still vowed not to wear a cup. Infielder Jordany Valdespin also had a baseball enter the zone earlier this season.
Moral of the story? Wear a cup.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)