Aug 16, 2013, 6:15 PM EST
The Tigers lost to the Royals 2-1 this afternoon, but that wasn’t the most painful part of the afternoon for shortstop Jose Iglesias. In the bottom of the third inning against Royals starter Danny Duffy, Iglesias squared around to bunt in a 1-1 count. Duffy’s fastball ran a little too far inside and caught Iglesias in a sensitive area, as seen in this .gif:
Mets reliever LaTroy Hawkins was not available last night after being hit in his sensitive area with a ground ball, and still vowed not to wear a cup. Infielder Jordany Valdespin also had a baseball enter the zone earlier this season.
Moral of the story? Wear a cup.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)