Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
ESPN is reporting that a longtime friend of Ryan Braun has filed a lawsuit against the Milwaukee slugger. Ralph Sasson alleges that Braun doped while playing for the University of Miami, committed academic fraud, and accepted money while a student. Sasson helped Braun successfully appeal his suspension back in 2011, when the right fielder tested positive.
Sasson alleges Braun violated a non-disclosure agreement when he made “defamatory statements” to undisclosed parties for which Sasson is seeking damages.
Braun is currently serving a season-ending 65-game suspension. His attorney, Howard Weitzman, does not think Sasson’s claims hold water:
“This lawsuit is an unfortunate attempt to capitalize on Ryan’s recent press attention for taking responsibility for his actions. The factual allegations and the legal claims have absolutely no merit. We believe the lawsuit will be dismissed,” he said in a statement.
Sasson also alleges in his lawsuit that Braun asked him to prank call Mark Fainaru-Wada of ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 63
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)