Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
ESPN is reporting that a longtime friend of Ryan Braun has filed a lawsuit against the Milwaukee slugger. Ralph Sasson alleges that Braun doped while playing for the University of Miami, committed academic fraud, and accepted money while a student. Sasson helped Braun successfully appeal his suspension back in 2011, when the right fielder tested positive.
Sasson alleges Braun violated a non-disclosure agreement when he made “defamatory statements” to undisclosed parties for which Sasson is seeking damages.
Braun is currently serving a season-ending 65-game suspension. His attorney, Howard Weitzman, does not think Sasson’s claims hold water:
“This lawsuit is an unfortunate attempt to capitalize on Ryan’s recent press attention for taking responsibility for his actions. The factual allegations and the legal claims have absolutely no merit. We believe the lawsuit will be dismissed,” he said in a statement.
Sasson also alleges in his lawsuit that Braun asked him to prank call Mark Fainaru-Wada of ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (89)