Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
ESPN is reporting that a longtime friend of Ryan Braun has filed a lawsuit against the Milwaukee slugger. Ralph Sasson alleges that Braun doped while playing for the University of Miami, committed academic fraud, and accepted money while a student. Sasson helped Braun successfully appeal his suspension back in 2011, when the right fielder tested positive.
Sasson alleges Braun violated a non-disclosure agreement when he made “defamatory statements” to undisclosed parties for which Sasson is seeking damages.
Braun is currently serving a season-ending 65-game suspension. His attorney, Howard Weitzman, does not think Sasson’s claims hold water:
“This lawsuit is an unfortunate attempt to capitalize on Ryan’s recent press attention for taking responsibility for his actions. The factual allegations and the legal claims have absolutely no merit. We believe the lawsuit will be dismissed,” he said in a statement.
Sasson also alleges in his lawsuit that Braun asked him to prank call Mark Fainaru-Wada of ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)