Aug 16, 2013, 7:20 PM EST
ESPN is reporting that a longtime friend of Ryan Braun has filed a lawsuit against the Milwaukee slugger. Ralph Sasson alleges that Braun doped while playing for the University of Miami, committed academic fraud, and accepted money while a student. Sasson helped Braun successfully appeal his suspension back in 2011, when the right fielder tested positive.
Sasson alleges Braun violated a non-disclosure agreement when he made “defamatory statements” to undisclosed parties for which Sasson is seeking damages.
Braun is currently serving a season-ending 65-game suspension. His attorney, Howard Weitzman, does not think Sasson’s claims hold water:
“This lawsuit is an unfortunate attempt to capitalize on Ryan’s recent press attention for taking responsibility for his actions. The factual allegations and the legal claims have absolutely no merit. We believe the lawsuit will be dismissed,” he said in a statement.
Sasson also alleges in his lawsuit that Braun asked him to prank call Mark Fainaru-Wada of ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”.
- Where does Nelson Cruz go from here? 38
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers 84
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 23
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 44
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 42
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (102)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- Shin-Soo Choo agrees to seven-year, $130 million deal with Rangers (84)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)