Aug 16, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
In the lineup at first base in his first game as a Yankee, Mark Reynolds made it count. Reynolds blasted a two-run home run to left field off of Felix Doubront in the second inning, bolstering the Yankee lead to 3-0. Meanwhile, outfielder Alfonso Soriano continued to stay red hot. The former Cub entered the night with 14 RBI and four home runs in his last three games. Soriano blasted home run #25 on the season (#8 as a Yankee), a three-run shot off of Doubront in the third, bringing the Yankees up to 6-0.
Meanwhile, Yankees starter Andy Pettitte was solid, allowing three unearned runs over six and two-thirds innings. He allowed six hits, walked one, and struck out five before deferring to the bullpen. The combination of Shawn Kelley and David Robertson held the Red Sox offense silent. Joba Chamberlain got two outs in the ninth but loaded the bases in the process, so manager Joe Girardi called on lefty David Huff. Huff retired Jacoby Ellsbury to finalize the 10-3 victory.
Alex Rodriguez, by the way, went 2-for-4 with a walk. Soriano finished 3-for-4 with four runs batted in, bolstering his stats over the last four games to five home runs and 18 RBI, tying the Major League record for RBI in a four-game span. Per ESPN Stats & Info, others to do it include Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Sammy Sosa, Jim Bottomley, and Tony Lazzeri. He has had four consecutive three-hit games, becoming the first Yankee to accomplish the feat since Johnny Damon in 2006, per the YES Network. Since joining the Yankees, he is hitting .320/.354/.667.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)