Aug 16, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
In the lineup at first base in his first game as a Yankee, Mark Reynolds made it count. Reynolds blasted a two-run home run to left field off of Felix Doubront in the second inning, bolstering the Yankee lead to 3-0. Meanwhile, outfielder Alfonso Soriano continued to stay red hot. The former Cub entered the night with 14 RBI and four home runs in his last three games. Soriano blasted home run #25 on the season (#8 as a Yankee), a three-run shot off of Doubront in the third, bringing the Yankees up to 6-0.
Meanwhile, Yankees starter Andy Pettitte was solid, allowing three unearned runs over six and two-thirds innings. He allowed six hits, walked one, and struck out five before deferring to the bullpen. The combination of Shawn Kelley and David Robertson held the Red Sox offense silent. Joba Chamberlain got two outs in the ninth but loaded the bases in the process, so manager Joe Girardi called on lefty David Huff. Huff retired Jacoby Ellsbury to finalize the 10-3 victory.
Alex Rodriguez, by the way, went 2-for-4 with a walk. Soriano finished 3-for-4 with four runs batted in, bolstering his stats over the last four games to five home runs and 18 RBI, tying the Major League record for RBI in a four-game span. Per ESPN Stats & Info, others to do it include Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Sammy Sosa, Jim Bottomley, and Tony Lazzeri. He has had four consecutive three-hit games, becoming the first Yankee to accomplish the feat since Johnny Damon in 2006, per the YES Network. Since joining the Yankees, he is hitting .320/.354/.667.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 38
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)