Aug 16, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Quentin, who had offseason surgery on the same knee, tested the knee recently with some physical activity and then went for a second opinion after complaining of soreness.
All of which means he’s no sure thing to play again this season, especially with the Padres not in contention. When healthy enough to be in the lineup Quentin has hit .275 with an .855 OPS to basically match the production from last year that got him a three-year, $27 million contract extension, but he’s played just 82 games after playing just 86 games last season.
Quentin always hits and he’s always injured, which is why the multi-year deal was a risky one for the Padres.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)