Aug 16, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
The Pirates have signed veteran reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a Minor League contract and assigned him to Triple-A Indianapolis, reports Rob Biertempfel. Farnsworth was released by the Rays on Monday after posting a 5.76 ERA in 29 and two-thirds innings of work.
It’s a depth signing for the Pirates as they have the third-best bullpen ERA in baseball at 2.75. They are all but guaranteed a playoff spot at this point, possessing the National League’s second-best record at 71-49.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29