Aug 16, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
The Pirates have signed veteran reliever Kyle Farnsworth to a Minor League contract and assigned him to Triple-A Indianapolis, reports Rob Biertempfel. Farnsworth was released by the Rays on Monday after posting a 5.76 ERA in 29 and two-thirds innings of work.
It’s a depth signing for the Pirates as they have the third-best bullpen ERA in baseball at 2.75. They are all but guaranteed a playoff spot at this point, possessing the National League’s second-best record at 71-49.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17