Aug 16, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
The Daily News is the latest to take someone’s — likely competing agents’ — talking points about the Levinson Brothers’ ACES agency in the wake of the Biogenesis scandal and suggest that Major League Baseball might be able to do something to discipline them. You’ll recall that most of the players implicated in Biogenesis are or were represented by ACES.
We’ve dealt with that several times in the past and the answer on this is simple: Major League Baseball has no jurisdiction over agents. The Players Association does. They’ve already reviewed ACES, reprimanded them and that is that. Maybe they went light — that’s a matter of opinion — but there is nothing the league can do.
So this suggestion from the Daily News story is great:
The Players Association certifies and regulates agents, but sources told the Daily News that Selig isn’t powerless if he feels the union has not properly disciplined rogue player reps. The commissioner could direct the clubs to not deal with dirty agents.
That’s collusion, of course. And it’s illegal. And if they did that they would be sued so fast their heads would swim.
You know what would be cool? If, instead of talking up stuff that makes Major League Baseball seem so tough and proactive about PEDs, people actually talked up stuff that could actually be legally feasible or remotely reasonable. I guess until that happens we get source-stroking stories about impossible and impractical things.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)