Aug 16, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
The Daily News is the latest to take someone’s — likely competing agents’ — talking points about the Levinson Brothers’ ACES agency in the wake of the Biogenesis scandal and suggest that Major League Baseball might be able to do something to discipline them. You’ll recall that most of the players implicated in Biogenesis are or were represented by ACES.
We’ve dealt with that several times in the past and the answer on this is simple: Major League Baseball has no jurisdiction over agents. The Players Association does. They’ve already reviewed ACES, reprimanded them and that is that. Maybe they went light — that’s a matter of opinion — but there is nothing the league can do.
So this suggestion from the Daily News story is great:
The Players Association certifies and regulates agents, but sources told the Daily News that Selig isn’t powerless if he feels the union has not properly disciplined rogue player reps. The commissioner could direct the clubs to not deal with dirty agents.
That’s collusion, of course. And it’s illegal. And if they did that they would be sued so fast their heads would swim.
You know what would be cool? If, instead of talking up stuff that makes Major League Baseball seem so tough and proactive about PEDs, people actually talked up stuff that could actually be legally feasible or remotely reasonable. I guess until that happens we get source-stroking stories about impossible and impractical things.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)