Aug 16, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
The Phillies have a press conference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. today and have refused to indicate what it’s about, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com knows: Charlie Manuel is out as manager.
Manuel recently won his 1,000th career game and it’s unclear if he’s being forced out or leaving on his own at age 69. He has a .551 winning percentage since taking over as the Phillies’ manager in 2005, finishing .500 or better in each season before this year and taking the team to back-to-back World Series in 2008 and 2009.
It’d be a shame if Manuel is taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline, because he’s a well-liked and extremely successful manager who certainly can’t be blamed for most of the front office decision-making that led to the deterioration of the roster.
UPDATE: Salisbury reports that third base coach Ryne Sandberg is expected to replace Manuel as manager for the remainder of this season and possibly on a full-time basis.
UPDATE: During the press conference Manuel made it clear that he was fired by general manager Ruben Amaro Jr., saying: “I did not resign. I did not quit.”
Mar 3, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
Dozier is making the minimum salary for this season and would then be under team control via arbitration for 2016-2018.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
The Daily News is gonna Daily News
Mar 3, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Against the Nationals, on the road.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A nice history lesson from Jack Moore at The Hardball Times.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
Reds fans may wonder why anyone would WANT to be like Votto, but everyone who doesn’t listen to Marty Brennaman knows that Votto is a pretty swell guy to emulate.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:08 AM EST
Twitter does a pretty bad job of policing threats of violence against women. Curt Schilling does a much, much better job.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Gwynn will function as insurance with Jayson Werth and Nate McLouth each rehabbing from shoulder surgery.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:01 PM EST
Mueller died at the age of 26 last month while in captivity in Syria.
Mar 2, 2015, 8:58 PM EST
The Mets cut back on defensive shifts with Wheeler on the mound last season because of his concerns.
Mar 2, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
Some key players are making some encouraging strides on the health front.
Mar 2, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
After facing a pitching machine during an intrasquad game today, Alex Rodriguez is ready for his first real-live game action since September of 2013.
Mar 2, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
Seems a bit light as far as these things go.
Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
Trammell and Whitaker in Detroit? Carter and Hernandez with the Mets?
Mar 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Lester joined the Cubs on a six-year, $155 million deal in December.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
Don’t. Praise. The. Machine.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:48 PM EST
Hart is attempting to resurrect his career on a one-year deal as a part-timer in Pittsburgh.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:27 PM EST
Shocking, I know.
Mar 2, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
GM says “they’re not going to play him for a little while.”
Mar 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Howard Johnson is right!
Mar 2, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
Detroit owes him $28 million per season through 2019.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)