Report: Ryan Braun is ready to come clean

Aug 16, 2013, 9:45 PM EST

braun wide getty Getty Images

Friends of Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun spoke to USA TODAY on the condition of anonymity. They said that Braun will soon come clean about everything and apologize to those who got hurt along the way.

From Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY:

Braun, according to his friends, is ready to soon admit that he used performance-enhancing drugs in parts of the 2011 season, the reasons why he did it, and publicly apologize for the lies and deception.

His friends, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because Braun has yet to make the announcement, said he plans to apologize to everyone from Commissioner Bud Selig to urine collector Dino Laurenzi Jr. to his teammates and peers.

And for the first time, he will admit guilt.

The people close to Braun said he is eager to be the anti-Alex Rodriguez and is desperately trying to distance himself from the New York Yankees third baseman.

We learned earlier tonight that a former friend of Braun’s has filed a defamation lawsuit, ostensibly the latest bridge Braun has burned. It will be interesting to see if his new strategy will pay off, if it will help him regain the trust he lost over the last three years.

100 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. multiplemiggs - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:52 PM

too little too late scumbag, Jose Reyes is the real loser in this situation.

• banpeds - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Reyes=Anthoney Goletta…. tick tock

• chill1184 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I assume your referring to the battling title?

• banpeds - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:29 PM

no, sealed Federal records regarding PEDs use. Goelta has been singing like a bird for over a year now… it was part of sentence to tell all… MLB chomping at the bit to get those records…

• biasedhomer - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Real loser is Matt Kemp.
      It was a pretty even debate on who should have been MVP that year. PEDs tipped the scale.

• chris6523 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yes, because Kemp is the only player ever to lose an award to a guy who was using PEDs. Let’s all feel sorry for Kemp, Reyes, and the Arizona Diamondbacks. Funny, but I don’t recall anyone pointing out the poor souls who lost out to Barry Bonds.

• biasedhomer - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Two wrongs don’t make a right. Are you actaully trying to justify Braun winning MVP by using examples of other cheaters winning over potentially clean players?

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:42 AM

If he really wants to apologize, he should quit baseball for life. Donate his salary for the last three years to charity.

• paperlions - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Damn, I would hate to see what you think politicians, CEOs, anyone that works on Wall Street, lawyers, any crooked authority figure or violent criminal, any clergy member of the catholic church, or a whole host of other people that have committed more heinous acts than Braun should do if they feel like apologizing.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:44 AM

Is there any baseball player today anyone can trust?

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM

paperlions you want to live in a crooked, lying, cheating society, that you can’t trust anyone, enjoy yourself. You are living in one now.
        Every politician, CEO, all wall street liars, all lawyers should be sanctioned for life for what they do and did. It appears that you want liars, cheats and thieves to take over the society we live in and you want to live with them. As long as the act is wrong, it should not be committed. Is raping a 10 year old girl as bad as Madoff stealing your life savings? Is a man who just stole your new car any better than a cheating, lying baseball player who stole millions of dollars from you by juicing himself up. I look back fondly on a clean baseball era. You want to look fondly on a rotten society

• jeffbbf - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM

“is ready to soon admit that he used performance-enhancing drugs in parts of the 2011 season”

I call bullshorts on this. I don’t believe anything he says anymore, and I’m inclined to believe that Braun probably has been a user for several years. Of course, I have no proof, but precedence with these cheating liars is that what they’ve been caught with is always just the tip of the iceberg.

• dickclydesdale - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

MLB rewards Braun with an MVP trophy, a lovely summer vacation & $100+ Million in future earnings for cheating…Sign me up for this sweet gig! I don’t see any punishment.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Are the friends of Ryan Braun quoted in the article other druggies?

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

You’re a one track mind of idiocy.

• jimsjam33 - Aug 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Matt Kemp lost the 2011 MVP to this liar . MLB should correct this injustice !

2. apmn - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You have no chance of being the anti-Alex Rodriguez. None. How can anyone trust what comes out of your mouth to be sincere?

• historiophiliac - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Pretty sure the anti-A-Rod is Mo.

• dondada10 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Sorry, Tori. Anti-A-Rod is Jeter.

• apmn - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Is there a true anti-A-Rod in MLB today? I would say that the anti-A-Rod is some guy who has been hanging around double-A ball for the better part of a decade, getting a sniff of triple-A every now and then, but convinced that he is gonna make the Show one of these days.

Or whatever you call a creature with a horse head and a human body could also be an anti-A-Rod.

• km9000 - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:35 PM

There was a time that A-Rod was supposed to be the anti-Bonds.

• apkyletexas - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Andrew McCutchen is the real Anti-A-roid. Such a great person and player.

3. banpeds - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM

As I said all along… better make sure he tells of use all they way back to UM days. He’s also probaly got his deal in place with the FEDS on the suppliers….

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Like you said earlier? Thank goodness. I’ve been waiting to hear from banpeds about this.

Get over yourself. Really.

4. mantastic54 - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I’m sure if he comes clean it will be something along theirs of I only used them for a short period of time and they didn’t help me, just like everyone else not named Jose canseco that had admitted to use

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Breaking news! I have acquired an early draft of his apology letter. This represents the draft before his PR folks and Lawyers get ahold of it.

“Now that I’ve been caught, and the attention and hate is focused on another player, I’m ready to admit I was a liar and a cheater the entire time. Not that anyone can believe me since as has been proven, I’m a liar and a cheat. Please love me again and repair my image as all of my sponsorships are dropping like the plunger on the needle I was sticking in my ass.”

6. mybrunoblog - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Put me down as one of the people who aren’t impressed and don’t give a damn about Braun coming clean. Braun had his chance when he was caught in 2011. He could have been humble, admitted he went outside the rules and apologized.
    Now he’s caught a second time so we will get his worthless mea culpa. Save your breath Braun, you have zero credibility now.

• harrycanyon - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It’s no different than convicts that find Jesus five minutes after they are locked up, because they think that makes them look less guilty and they are trying. If you want to make a different Braun, forget the apology and donate your salary this year to a worthy charity.

• chew1985 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM

He’s just trying to save his ass with his own teammates.

7. raysfan1 - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Make it complete, make it sincere, zero excuses, zero prevarication, take literally 100% of the responsibility, and be prepared to apologize again repeatedly for years. Otherwise don’t waste your breath, Braun.

• mackypinky - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Hear, Hear.

• apmn - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

And no tears! There’s no crying in baseball!

• raysfan1 - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Agreed

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:47 AM

0 chance for HOF. Will there be anyone from this era that will get the nod for the hof?

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:06 AM

They might as well shut the Hall of Fame down. Or, I don’t know, change the rules from allowing pinheaded journalists to make all the decisions– including inducting one of their own who just happens to be accused with child molestation over a couple decades.

All of this whining and crying about legal activity that has no bearing on the game of baseball…. Really, y’all are welcome to leave this sport at any time. If it’s fakers and cheaters and subhuman trash, then go away and don’t watch it anymore.

Otherwise, take your morality plays and shove them sideways where the sun doesn’t shine. Because, really, the drama is just too fucking much with some of you folks.

8. Ducky Medwick - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Regaining trust. LOL NOPE

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

koufaxmitzvah You must be one of the people who purchased season tickets to WWW.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

If you want to make some stupid comment to me, then reply to me so that I can see your wonderfulness at the moment of its conception. Because I’m finding you responding to other people as if they are me even though they are not me and are not making comments for me.

But I see you’re obsessed…. with me, Ryan Bruan, PEDs, truck driver drug tests, and, naturally, your wonderful self.

What fun you must be for those who really do know you.

9. jdillydawg - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Really, I don’t need his apology. Why does everyone else seem to?

10. genericcommenter - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM

“Parts of the 2011 season”= probably not coming clean.

11. rcali - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I’m guessing he’s going to say that he only used steriods 1 time and then he’ll throw about 15 people under the bus.

12. harrycanyon - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Too little, too late. You should have come clean when you caused a working man to lose his job over your postive drug tests before. Once a turd, always a turd.

• seattlej - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:06 AM

To be fair, the working man failed to follow what seems to have been a pretty simple procedure. If I showed that kind of incompetence I’d probably get canned too. Yeah, Braun lied and bears some responsibility for that, but it was the working man that put himself in a pretty piss poor situation to begin with.

Whatever happened to personal accountability?

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:48 AM

• stercuilus65 - Aug 17, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Seattlej=clueless

• ronsexton - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:22 AM

There is a world of difference between failing to follow a procedure exactly and claiming that someone deliberately tampered with your test sample to make you test positive. Ryan Braun is a complete scumbag and should be arrested for what he did. He should have kept his mouth shut after the got lucky with the arbitrator but he had to pile on with his lies and fabrications so now he deserves the scorn he gets. As for the the “working man”, he made a mistake and got far worse punishment and notoriety than he deserved. When you deliberately put a banned substance in your body, it is not a “mistake” as I am sure Braun will claim but a deliberate act which dishonors all the clean ballplayers that you stole money from. You owe Kemp lots of money and should give it to him.

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

“If they fire a truck driver for testing positive, why do they only suspend ball players for testing positive?”

Truck drivers get fired for taking PEDs?

I’d love for you to show me that link.

Thanks!

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Ronsexton: No, the real scumbag was the asshat who leaked information about Ryan Braun’s urine test before his confidential appeals process was allowed to begin. And another scumbag happens to be ESPN for broadcasting that leak over and over again, thereby tainting the minds of their consumers.

Did you know that HBT’s Med School has the same credibility as PFT’s Law School? It’s true….

• raysfan1 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The Dept of Transportation testing panel does not include testing for steroids, so it’s safe to say no truck drivers get fired for steroid use. DoT does test for amphetamines, however, and so they can get fired for illegal amphetamine use.

13. righthandofjustice - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I don’t think this will stop his friend from suing him. It may actually make his friend’s story more convincing since he lied and harmed some innocent urine collector.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

koufaxmitzvah hundreds of thousands of links: Here is one story:
      Concerns that employees taking certain legally prescribed medications pose a workplace safety hazard may cost many other employees their jobs. An increasing number of employees rely on powerful prescription drugs to combat pain or anxiety. According to Quest Diagnostics, a regular provider of workplace drug tests, employees testing positive for prescription opiates rose by 18 percent from 2008 to 2009, and by more than 40 percent from 2005 to 2009.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2010/11/21/1566263/workers-can-be-fired-for-using.html#storylink=cpy
      Check up on the scientific names of steroids and PEDs and get back to me. Pettitte admitted he took drugs for a physical problem. Question is how long and what kind of drugs did he take and how did it affect his performance?

• koufaxmitzvah - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM

That test is for Opiates. Not Performance Enhancing Drugs.

You can show me an apple, but it’s not an orange. Even though both are consumable.

So…. Thanks! You showed me nothing.

14. dondada10 - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I have a feeling Braun “coming clean” is just going to be more excuse making. Watch him claim some other medical condition has absolutely forced his arm into acquiring and using PEDs from the black market.

15. barkleyblows - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Poor Ryan Fraud and the Milwaukee Losers.

16. xxakshunxx - Aug 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM

“I only used it this one time” isn’t that just what A-roid said a couple years ago.. Why’s anyone gonna believe Braun now that it took him this long to “admit” his mistakes

17. tfbuckfutter - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Translation: He is going to admit to the bare minimum he thinks will make everything go away, none of which will involve his most productive seasons, and he’s going to spin it as doing so because of pressure or trying to help the moribund franchise finally get out of its decades long slump.

Because, really, he’s a hero.

18. rythestunner - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think accepting a plea deal for the 65-game suspension and publicly acknowledging that he’s made mistakes is tantamount to “coming clean”. There’s nothing to report here.

• apmn - Aug 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Tucking your shirt into your undies is a mistake. What he did was cheat his way to an MVP award and then lie about it in the most arrogant way possible, ruining a guy’s reputation along the way. That goes beyond mistake in my book.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:33 AM

What do you mean tucking your shirt into your undies is a mistake?

Next you’re going to say that you’re not supposed to tuck your sweatpants leg into your black tube socks and then put on sandals.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:50 AM

You forget that they cheat their way to multiyear, multimillion dollar salaries, that tv and radio announcers have to flood the airways with dumb commercials that cost billiones of dollars that they get from YOU in added costs to the products you buy.

19. kraa0901 - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I miss the good ole days of Jr and Tony Gwynn. Can anyone really be trusted anymore?

20. tfbuckfutter - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM

According to Wikipedia:

“Braun developed his own signature fashion t-shirt line for Affliction Clothing, a California-based clothing manufacturer who manufactures shirts that are garment dyed and hand distressed”

I’m assuming the mistakes he will be apologizing for include this. If he is just apologizing for the majority of the decisions he has made up to this point in his life that will be understandable….but I really hope this one is specifically singled out.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Seriously. Fucking apologize bro.

What is even going on there? Douchebag t-shirt over a cardigan over a button down with the sleeves rolled up?

Were you afraid if you popped the collar every girl in 100 miles would instantly lose their virginity?

21. coryfor3 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Yeah we saw Arod come clean the first time too. Only he was lying then too.

22. seattlenative57 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:54 AM

Nobody cares about Braun’s redemption. The guy will be remembered as a liar and cheater.

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM

It takes a lifetime to be remembered as an honest man and a minute to be known as a liar and a cheat.

23. grumpyredskin23 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:32 AM

this guy is a piece of s$&t just for the fact that he publicly stated how he was clean blah blah blah now to be implicated and wants to come clean?! F’ing save it dude! You are a cheating loser, we don’t want to hear it! Go off into loser obscurity!

24. rendy09o - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM

my roomate’s step-sister makes $67 an hour on the internet. She has been unemployed for 10 months but last month her pay check was $12017 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read morego to this site home tab for more detail—>>> http://WWW.BAY96.COM

• pjmarn6 - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:53 AM

shove it where the sun don’t shine.

• tfbuckfutter - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM

That’s how his roommate’s step-sister makes that money on the internet.

She’s a camwhore.

25. vstar1us - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Who really cares

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5088)
  2. M. Kemp (3552)
  3. J. Upton (2812)
  4. J. Kang (2801)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2710)
  1. C. McGehee (2706)