Aug 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Ryan Doumit is back from the concussion disabled list after missing a total of eight days with a brain injury he initially kept secret from the Twins.
To open a spot on the roster for his return the Twins demoted Chris Colabello back to Triple-A, where he was leading the International League in nearly every key offensive category before getting his first real opportunity in the majors at age 29.
Colabello hit .286 with four homers and a .948 OPS in his last 16 games, so the demotion certainly isn’t based on his performance. Minnesota has a logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, in part because they’ve yet to trade Justin Morneau. Colabello deserved a longer look after crushing Triple-A all season and might be a decent, cheap replacement for Morneau next season, but the Twins apparently aren’t all that interested in finding out.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)