Aug 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Doumit is back from the concussion disabled list after missing a total of eight days with a brain injury he initially kept secret from the Twins.
To open a spot on the roster for his return the Twins demoted Chris Colabello back to Triple-A, where he was leading the International League in nearly every key offensive category before getting his first real opportunity in the majors at age 29.
Colabello hit .286 with four homers and a .948 OPS in his last 16 games, so the demotion certainly isn’t based on his performance. Minnesota has a logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, in part because they’ve yet to trade Justin Morneau. Colabello deserved a longer look after crushing Triple-A all season and might be a decent, cheap replacement for Morneau next season, but the Twins apparently aren’t all that interested in finding out.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)