Aug 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Doumit is back from the concussion disabled list after missing a total of eight days with a brain injury he initially kept secret from the Twins.
To open a spot on the roster for his return the Twins demoted Chris Colabello back to Triple-A, where he was leading the International League in nearly every key offensive category before getting his first real opportunity in the majors at age 29.
Colabello hit .286 with four homers and a .948 OPS in his last 16 games, so the demotion certainly isn’t based on his performance. Minnesota has a logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, in part because they’ve yet to trade Justin Morneau. Colabello deserved a longer look after crushing Triple-A all season and might be a decent, cheap replacement for Morneau next season, but the Twins apparently aren’t all that interested in finding out.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (135)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)