Aug 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Doumit is back from the concussion disabled list after missing a total of eight days with a brain injury he initially kept secret from the Twins.
To open a spot on the roster for his return the Twins demoted Chris Colabello back to Triple-A, where he was leading the International League in nearly every key offensive category before getting his first real opportunity in the majors at age 29.
Colabello hit .286 with four homers and a .948 OPS in his last 16 games, so the demotion certainly isn’t based on his performance. Minnesota has a logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, in part because they’ve yet to trade Justin Morneau. Colabello deserved a longer look after crushing Triple-A all season and might be a decent, cheap replacement for Morneau next season, but the Twins apparently aren’t all that interested in finding out.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)