Aug 16, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Ryan Doumit is back from the concussion disabled list after missing a total of eight days with a brain injury he initially kept secret from the Twins.
To open a spot on the roster for his return the Twins demoted Chris Colabello back to Triple-A, where he was leading the International League in nearly every key offensive category before getting his first real opportunity in the majors at age 29.
Colabello hit .286 with four homers and a .948 OPS in his last 16 games, so the demotion certainly isn’t based on his performance. Minnesota has a logjam at first base, designated hitter, and the outfield corners, in part because they’ve yet to trade Justin Morneau. Colabello deserved a longer look after crushing Triple-A all season and might be a decent, cheap replacement for Morneau next season, but the Twins apparently aren’t all that interested in finding out.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)