Aug 16, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Having lost Dan Uggla to eye surgery and Tyler Pastornicky to a torn ACL, the Braves are now prowling the waiver wire for a second baseman as they prepare for the post-season. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweeted this earlier:
#Braves Wren said they’ll look for possible trade for INF, doesn’t know if will find “right fit…Short of that, we’ll go with what we have”
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) August 16, 2013
Uggla was having the worst season of his career before he opted to have LASIK surgery, holding a .696 OPS and -0.4 WAR according to Baseball Reference. Pastornicky has not played much this season and was in the second game of his most recent stint in the big leagues before suffering the torn ACL.
Second base is not a position of excess, especially after the Phillies recently locked up Chase Utley for another two years, and the Royals acquired Jamey Carroll and Emilio Bonifacio. The Rays recently released Ryan Roberts, so he could be one option. In the meantime, the Braves have called up Phil Gosselin and put Paul Janish in the lineup at second base tonight.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (157)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)