Aug 16, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Having lost Dan Uggla to eye surgery and Tyler Pastornicky to a torn ACL, the Braves are now prowling the waiver wire for a second baseman as they prepare for the post-season. David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution tweeted this earlier:
#Braves Wren said they’ll look for possible trade for INF, doesn’t know if will find “right fit…Short of that, we’ll go with what we have”
— David O’Brien (@ajcbraves) August 16, 2013
Uggla was having the worst season of his career before he opted to have LASIK surgery, holding a .696 OPS and -0.4 WAR according to Baseball Reference. Pastornicky has not played much this season and was in the second game of his most recent stint in the big leagues before suffering the torn ACL.
Second base is not a position of excess, especially after the Phillies recently locked up Chase Utley for another two years, and the Royals acquired Jamey Carroll and Emilio Bonifacio. The Rays recently released Ryan Roberts, so he could be one option. In the meantime, the Braves have called up Phil Gosselin and put Paul Janish in the lineup at second base tonight.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 13
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 41
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)