Aug 16, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Mets catcher John Buck has left the team to be with his wife who has gone into labor, per the Mets official Twitter. As a result, manager Terry Collins has put Anthony Recker into the lineup batting seventh tonight against the Padres, and the team has recalled catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud from Triple-A Las Vegas, per ESPN’s Adam Rubin.
d’Arnaud, 24, was originally drafted by the Phillies in the first round of the 2007 draft. They sent him to the Blue Jays in the Roy Halladay trade. The Mets acquired d’Arnaud in the trade that sent starter R.A. Dickey to the Blue Jays. d’Arnaud missed most of the season with a broken bone in his foot. In 78 plate appearances with the Las Vegas 51′s, d’Arnaud posted a 1.041 OPS with 12 strikeouts and 21 walks.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)