Aug 17, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
The Athletics have placed starter Bartolo Colon on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left groin, reports Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The right-hander apparently suffered the injury while doing flat ground work yesterday. Left-hander Tommy Milone will start in his place tomorrow against the Indians.
As a result of Colon’s injury, the Athletics have changed course with lefty Brett Anderson, working his way back from a stress fracture in his right foot. Brett Anderson will now start rather than relieve for Triple-A Sacramento, and will go three innings rather than two as the team prefers to keep its options open with the Colon injury.
Colon was having a great 2013 campaign, owning a 2.97 ERA in 154.1 innings.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)