Aug 17, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Diamondbacks starter Wade Miley finished a close second in NL Rookie of the Year voting last season, but he may be more well-known in the team’s clubhouse for his love of lottery tickets. In Steve Gilbert’s column for MLB.com, he describes how Miley and mental skills coach Peter Crone would sit together and scratch off lottery tickets every Sunday.
Crone and reliever J.J. Putz discussed pranking Miley and came up with a scheme involving the lottery tickets. From Gilbert’s article:
Fellow reliever Will Harris picked up a fake lottery ticket from Spencer’s and they mixed it in with the real ones last Sunday.
“I thought I won $10,000,” Miley said.
As he jumped around high-fiving his teammates in the trainer’s room, Crone brought him back down to earth.
“You know there’s a lot of people in here right now for no reason,” Crone told him.
It was then Miley realized he had been pranked. To make matters worse, the team sent the video to MLB Network’s Intentional Talk, and it aired this past week.
“They set me up,” Miley said. “The whole world knows now.”
As for his efforts on the field, Miley at least is following up his great rookie campaign with a solid sophomore season, posting a 3.63 ERA in 148.2 innings over 24 starts. That will surely help relieve any lottery-related embarrassment.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)