Aug 17, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
Diamondbacks starter Wade Miley finished a close second in NL Rookie of the Year voting last season, but he may be more well-known in the team’s clubhouse for his love of lottery tickets. In Steve Gilbert’s column for MLB.com, he describes how Miley and mental skills coach Peter Crone would sit together and scratch off lottery tickets every Sunday.
Crone and reliever J.J. Putz discussed pranking Miley and came up with a scheme involving the lottery tickets. From Gilbert’s article:
Fellow reliever Will Harris picked up a fake lottery ticket from Spencer’s and they mixed it in with the real ones last Sunday.
“I thought I won $10,000,” Miley said.
As he jumped around high-fiving his teammates in the trainer’s room, Crone brought him back down to earth.
“You know there’s a lot of people in here right now for no reason,” Crone told him.
It was then Miley realized he had been pranked. To make matters worse, the team sent the video to MLB Network’s Intentional Talk, and it aired this past week.
“They set me up,” Miley said. “The whole world knows now.”
As for his efforts on the field, Miley at least is following up his great rookie campaign with a solid sophomore season, posting a 3.63 ERA in 148.2 innings over 24 starts. That will surely help relieve any lottery-related embarrassment.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)