Aug 17, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
Jason Grilli‘s feel-good season took an unfortunate turn last month when he was diagnosed with a strained flexor muscle in his right forearm, but he’s hoping that the story has a happy ending.
James Santelli of Pirates Prospects was told by Pirates manager Clint Hurdle that Grilli is making “good progress” and will throw from a distance of 90-100 feet today and 120 feet when the team gets to San Diego. Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette adds that he could begin throwing from a slope or possibly the mound early next week. If all goes well, he could rejoin the Pirates around when rosters expand on September 1.
Grilli has enjoyed a renaissance late in his career, posting a 2.34 ERA, 30 saves and a 66/10 K/BB ratio over 42 1/3 innings this season. The 36-year-old was named to the National League All-Star team last month. While he has been missed in the Pirates’ bullpen, Mark Melancon has filled in nicely as the closer by going 5-for-6 in save opportunities.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 79
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 62
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)