Jayson Werth would like to see Charlie Manuel manage the Nationals

Aug 17, 2013, 10:07 AM EDT

Manuel Werth Getty Getty Images

When Charlie Manuel was let go by the Phillies yesterday, many speculated whether he has managed his final game in the big leagues. He turns 70 in January, so that’s a legitimate possibility. Still, one of his former players, Jayson Werth, told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com that he would love to see him manage the Nationals next season.

“Oh, of course,” Werth said this afternoon. “I don’t know if he fits into the organization’s plan or whatever. But I mean, I love playing for the guy.”

It’s no surprise to hear this from Werth, as he played under Manuel in Philadelphia from 2007-2010 and has credited him for becoming the player he is today. In fact, he called Manuel “the best manager I ever played for, nothing against Davey.”

Manuel is one year younger than the retiring Davey Johnson, but that’s probably not the kind of youth the Nationals have in mind for their next manager. One would imagine they would like their next hire to be a long-term option. Then again, we never thought we’d see Johnson manage in the majors again, so stranger things have happened.

1. fanofevilempire - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

He would be a good fit, age has nothing to do with, Charlie can manage.
    a lot of guys are that age or close to it and even win it all, Jack McKeon, Leyland Torre
    and Davey too.

2. dondada10 - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Manuel managing the Nats for 2-3 years makes a lot of sense, IMO.

3. wtmink - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

The Nats have the kind of young and talented roster that Manuel had when he came to Philly. Look what he did in his first few years there. I could see Manuel leading the Nats to a World Series.

4. aceshigh11 - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Ah, yes…a fresh injection of youth…

Going from the 70-year old Davey Johnson to the 69-year old Charlie Manuel.

The Nats are like the Rolling Stones of MLB.

• southofheaven81 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

There’s a difference between getting too old to play baseball & sitting in a dugout working out a strategy.

• Bob Loblaw - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

“sitting in a dugout working out a strategy.”

If THIS is what you are looking for, then by all means, run away from Charlie Manuel ASAFP. Uncle Cholly has a particular skill…he’s a great hitting coach and he’s a great player’s manager. That’s it. Once the first pitch is thrown, I used to wish he would go back to the clubhouse and let the guys with gametime management skills run the game.

All of that being said, I do think he would probably help the Nationals in the short term. As I said, he’s a great player’s manager.

• jjschiller - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I guess I must have missed the part where the Nats actually HIRED Charlie Manuel..

• aceshigh11 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I know, I know…I was just being a smartass.

• dirtyharry1971 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM

and the sox are like the new kids on the block of the MLB, some record sales by idiots and over with before you know it. Can you say flash in the pan? you bet you can!

• aceshigh11 - Aug 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM

What are you babbling about?

The Sox have been in first place for almost the entire season, have greatly exceeded expectations, and have managed to retain their position atop the division through thick and thin.

By the way, they just handily dispatched your Yankees, and the Blue Jays are currently leading the Rays.

5. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM

That Kevin must be a really smart chick.

• southofheaven81 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Heh, it’s the bird from Up.

6. dakotaandotter - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I’m a longtime Phillies season ticket holder and it might be a good idea. Charlie is a player’s manager, not an in game master. If they want someone to encourage the young players, keep the clubhouse happy and have guys who are hungry to win – the Phillies lost that – than he’s your man. I could be wrong but my impression of Davey was that he was intense and I can see that as not being good for this team.

7. stephenolszewski - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Nationals should give Manuel a shot for 2-3 years or Sandy Alomarn

8. earpaniac - Aug 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Wait, I thought it was “Ashley” who directed you to that site. This makes me think that you really didn’t earn all that cash!

All the trade deadline news to know