Aug 17, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
We have likely seen the last of Miguel Tejada in MLB.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Tejada will be suspended 105 games following multiple positive tests for Adderall. He will begin serving the suspension immediately.
Tejada, 39, had already tested positive for amphetamines in the past, but he tested positive twice again recently. A second positive test carries a 25-game suspension while a third has an 80-game penalty, so that’s where the 105-game figure comes from. Players are allowed to use Adderall if they have a TUE (therapeutic use exemption), but Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Tejada’s expired on April 15.
This will be the third-longest non-lifetime suspension ever handed out by MLB, behind Alex Rodriguez (211 games) and Steve Howe (119 days). Tejada was recently moved to the 60-day disabled list with a calf strain, which essentially ruled him out for the rest of the season anyway. However, Passan hears that he is “strongly leaning toward retiring” rather than sit out the first 64 games next year.
Tejada, who won the AL MVP Award in 2002, made a comeback this season and was batting .288/.317/.378 with three home runs and 20 RBI over 53 games. He has previously admitted to buying human growth hormone while playing with the Athletics, but claims that he threw away the drugs before using them. Rafael Palmeiro infamously blamed his positive PED test on a B-12 shot he received from Tejada.
UPDATE: It’s official. Below is the announcement from MLB:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Kansas City Royals infielder Miguel Tejada has received a 105-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Tejada is effective immediately.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)