Aug 17, 2013, 2:10 PM EST
We have likely seen the last of Miguel Tejada in MLB.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Tejada will be suspended 105 games following multiple positive tests for Adderall. He will begin serving the suspension immediately.
Tejada, 39, had already tested positive for amphetamines in the past, but he tested positive twice again recently. A second positive test carries a 25-game suspension while a third has an 80-game penalty, so that’s where the 105-game figure comes from. Players are allowed to use Adderall if they have a TUE (therapeutic use exemption), but Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Tejada’s expired on April 15.
This will be the third-longest non-lifetime suspension ever handed out by MLB, behind Alex Rodriguez (211 games) and Steve Howe (119 days). Tejada was recently moved to the 60-day disabled list with a calf strain, which essentially ruled him out for the rest of the season anyway. However, Passan hears that he is “strongly leaning toward retiring” rather than sit out the first 64 games next year.
Tejada, who won the AL MVP Award in 2002, made a comeback this season and was batting .288/.317/.378 with three home runs and 20 RBI over 53 games. He has previously admitted to buying human growth hormone while playing with the Athletics, but claims that he threw away the drugs before using them. Rafael Palmeiro infamously blamed his positive PED test on a B-12 shot he received from Tejada.
UPDATE: It’s official. Below is the announcement from MLB:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Kansas City Royals infielder Miguel Tejada has received a 105-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Tejada is effective immediately.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)