Aug 17, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
We have likely seen the last of Miguel Tejada in MLB.
According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Tejada will be suspended 105 games following multiple positive tests for Adderall. He will begin serving the suspension immediately.
Tejada, 39, had already tested positive for amphetamines in the past, but he tested positive twice again recently. A second positive test carries a 25-game suspension while a third has an 80-game penalty, so that’s where the 105-game figure comes from. Players are allowed to use Adderall if they have a TUE (therapeutic use exemption), but Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Tejada’s expired on April 15.
This will be the third-longest non-lifetime suspension ever handed out by MLB, behind Alex Rodriguez (211 games) and Steve Howe (119 days). Tejada was recently moved to the 60-day disabled list with a calf strain, which essentially ruled him out for the rest of the season anyway. However, Passan hears that he is “strongly leaning toward retiring” rather than sit out the first 64 games next year.
Tejada, who won the AL MVP Award in 2002, made a comeback this season and was batting .288/.317/.378 with three home runs and 20 RBI over 53 games. He has previously admitted to buying human growth hormone while playing with the Athletics, but claims that he threw away the drugs before using them. Rafael Palmeiro infamously blamed his positive PED test on a B-12 shot he received from Tejada.
UPDATE: It’s official. Below is the announcement from MLB:
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Kansas City Royals infielder Miguel Tejada has received a 105-game suspension without pay after testing positive for an Amphetamine in violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. The suspension of Tejada is effective immediately.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)