Aug 17, 2013, 8:57 AM EST
The Cardinals were shut out by the Cubs yesterday afternoon, so the Reds had a chance to move into second place in the National League Central with a win over the Brewers last night. And they appeared in fine position to do just that when Arolids Chapman strolled to the mound for the bottom of the ninth inning. However, Jonathan Lucroy had other ideas in mind.
After Jean Segura beat out an infield single to lead off the ninth, Lucroy turned on a hanging 1-2 slider from Chapman and put it over the left field fence to secure a stunning 7-6 victory for the Brewers. Lucroy was 0-for-5 with five strikeouts in his career against the hard-throwing left-hander coming into the night.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for the Reds, who now sit at 69-53 on the season. They are a half-game behind the Cardinals and 3 1/2 games behind the first-place Pirates. With the Reds and Cardinals comfortably atop the standings for the Wild Card play-in game, it looks like all three NL Central teams will be playing October baseball.
Your Friday box scores:
Nationals 2, Braves 3 (10 innings)
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)