Aug 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
There was some action in last night’s game when Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper was hit twice, once by Braves starter Alex Wood and once by reliever Luis Avilan. Due to a bruise caused by Avilan’s pitch, Harper was removed from tonight’s starting lineup. Davey Johnson said he and his clubhouse were miffed, but the manager said he did not instruct his players to retaliate on behalf of Harper.
Strasburg, then, must have taken matters into his own hands tonight. After Jason Heyward hit a lead-off solo home run in the bottom of the first inning, Strasburg pegged Justin Upton with a fastball. Home plate umpire Marvin Hudson issued warnings to both teams and Strasburg was able to exit the inning without any further damage.
In the bottom of the second, Strasburg walked lead-off batter Jordan Schafer on four pitches. Strasburg began the next at-bat with a wild pitch to Andrelton Simmons. Pitching coach Steve McCatty paid him a visit on the mound, but it didn’t seem to have any effect. Strasburg a second and third wild pitch behind Simmons, causing Hudson to eject him and his manager from the game. Tyler Roark relieved Strasburg, finishing up the Simmons at-bat with a walk, but eventually escaped the inning without allowing a run.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)