Aug 17, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
There was some action in last night’s game when Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper was hit twice, once by Braves starter Alex Wood and once by reliever Luis Avilan. Due to a bruise caused by Avilan’s pitch, Harper was removed from tonight’s starting lineup. Davey Johnson said he and his clubhouse were miffed, but the manager said he did not instruct his players to retaliate on behalf of Harper.
Strasburg, then, must have taken matters into his own hands tonight. After Jason Heyward hit a lead-off solo home run in the bottom of the first inning, Strasburg pegged Justin Upton with a fastball. Home plate umpire Marvin Hudson issued warnings to both teams and Strasburg was able to exit the inning without any further damage.
In the bottom of the second, Strasburg walked lead-off batter Jordan Schafer on four pitches. Strasburg began the next at-bat with a wild pitch to Andrelton Simmons. Pitching coach Steve McCatty paid him a visit on the mound, but it didn’t seem to have any effect. Strasburg a second and third wild pitch behind Simmons, causing Hudson to eject him and his manager from the game. Tyler Roark relieved Strasburg, finishing up the Simmons at-bat with a walk, but eventually escaped the inning without allowing a run.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (80)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)