Aug 17, 2013, 10:55 PM EDT
Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo blanked the Reds over six and one-third innings of work, allowing three hits and two walks while striking out three in his first start after returning from the disabled list. He had been out since July 31 with a strained left hamstring. He sat in the high-80’s and low 90’s with his fastball, reaching as high as 93 MPH.
Reds starter Mat Latos was nearly as good, allowing two runs on six hits and three walks in seven innings while striking out six. The Brewers got their two runs on a two-out, two-run double by Logan Schafer in the bottom of the fourth. Closer Jim Henderson struck out the side in the ninth for his 18th save of the season.
With the Pirates losing 15-5 earlier, the Cardinals were the big winners of the night with a 4-0 victory over the Cubs. The Cardinals now trail the Pirates by just two games and the Reds remain 3.5 games behind.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)