Aug 18, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
The lawyers of Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez have contacted the Major League Baseball Players Association to begin a grievance process over claims the Yankees mishandled Rodriguez’s medical treatment dating back to last October, according to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand.
Rodriguez’s lawyers accuse the Yankees of putting Rodriguez in the field despite his bad hip, and they have accused Yankees president Randy Levine of telling a surgeon that he would be fine if Rodriguez was never able to play again. They also say that the Yankees did not allow Rodriguez to play with a Grade 1 quad strain despite Rodriguez’s claims that he was healthy enough to play.
Per ESPN, Levine told Rodriguez yesterday to “put up or shut up”, offering to publicize his medical records with his consent.
Marchand notes that Rodriguez’s camp notifying the union is the first official step towards having the situation resolved by arbitrator Frederic Horowitz. Horowitz will also arbitrate Rodriguez’s 211-game suspension, but that isn’t expected to resolve until November at the earliest.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)