Aug 18, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bryce Harper, the victim of two misplaced baseballs on Friday, was booed lustily before every at-bat throughout the Nationals’ three-game set in Atlanta this weekend. Harper reached base in four of five plate appearances on Friday, went 0-for-2 after entering the game in the ninth inning in last night’s 15-inning affair, and went 2-for-4 in this afternoon’s 2-1 loss in regulation to the Braves.
Even before he was drafted by the Nationals in the first round of the 2010 draft, Harper was known for being arrogant, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That hasn’t changed much in Harper’s second season in the Majors. Phillies starter Cole Hamels admitted to intentionally throwing at him last year, and now the Braves have accounted for three of his four hit-by-pitches this year. As the Phillies have fallen off considerably, it appears that a Braves-Nationals rivalry is brewing. Harper quite enjoys it.
Bryce Harper on the last three days in ATL: “I love these fans. I really do. They’re unbelievable for their team … I live for the booing.”
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) August 18, 2013
With today’s 2-1 victory, the Braves improved their first-place lead over the Nationals to 15.5 games with 38 games left to play. Hopefully the rivalry will be more meaningful next year.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 58
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 38
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)