Aug 18, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bryce Harper, the victim of two misplaced baseballs on Friday, was booed lustily before every at-bat throughout the Nationals’ three-game set in Atlanta this weekend. Harper reached base in four of five plate appearances on Friday, went 0-for-2 after entering the game in the ninth inning in last night’s 15-inning affair, and went 2-for-4 in this afternoon’s 2-1 loss in regulation to the Braves.
Even before he was drafted by the Nationals in the first round of the 2010 draft, Harper was known for being arrogant, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That hasn’t changed much in Harper’s second season in the Majors. Phillies starter Cole Hamels admitted to intentionally throwing at him last year, and now the Braves have accounted for three of his four hit-by-pitches this year. As the Phillies have fallen off considerably, it appears that a Braves-Nationals rivalry is brewing. Harper quite enjoys it.
Bryce Harper on the last three days in ATL: “I love these fans. I really do. They’re unbelievable for their team … I live for the booing.”
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) August 18, 2013
With today’s 2-1 victory, the Braves improved their first-place lead over the Nationals to 15.5 games with 38 games left to play. Hopefully the rivalry will be more meaningful next year.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)