Aug 18, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Bryce Harper, the victim of two misplaced baseballs on Friday, was booed lustily before every at-bat throughout the Nationals’ three-game set in Atlanta this weekend. Harper reached base in four of five plate appearances on Friday, went 0-for-2 after entering the game in the ninth inning in last night’s 15-inning affair, and went 2-for-4 in this afternoon’s 2-1 loss in regulation to the Braves.
Even before he was drafted by the Nationals in the first round of the 2010 draft, Harper was known for being arrogant, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That hasn’t changed much in Harper’s second season in the Majors. Phillies starter Cole Hamels admitted to intentionally throwing at him last year, and now the Braves have accounted for three of his four hit-by-pitches this year. As the Phillies have fallen off considerably, it appears that a Braves-Nationals rivalry is brewing. Harper quite enjoys it.
Bryce Harper on the last three days in ATL: “I love these fans. I really do. They’re unbelievable for their team … I live for the booing.”
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) August 18, 2013
With today’s 2-1 victory, the Braves improved their first-place lead over the Nationals to 15.5 games with 38 games left to play. Hopefully the rivalry will be more meaningful next year.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (101)