Aug 18, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Bryce Harper, the victim of two misplaced baseballs on Friday, was booed lustily before every at-bat throughout the Nationals’ three-game set in Atlanta this weekend. Harper reached base in four of five plate appearances on Friday, went 0-for-2 after entering the game in the ninth inning in last night’s 15-inning affair, and went 2-for-4 in this afternoon’s 2-1 loss in regulation to the Braves.
Even before he was drafted by the Nationals in the first round of the 2010 draft, Harper was known for being arrogant, which rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That hasn’t changed much in Harper’s second season in the Majors. Phillies starter Cole Hamels admitted to intentionally throwing at him last year, and now the Braves have accounted for three of his four hit-by-pitches this year. As the Phillies have fallen off considerably, it appears that a Braves-Nationals rivalry is brewing. Harper quite enjoys it.
Bryce Harper on the last three days in ATL: “I love these fans. I really do. They’re unbelievable for their team … I live for the booing.”
— Dan Kolko (@masnKolko) August 18, 2013
With today’s 2-1 victory, the Braves improved their first-place lead over the Nationals to 15.5 games with 38 games left to play. Hopefully the rivalry will be more meaningful next year.
Dec 22, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
“You see what’s going on, but …”
Dec 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EST
Who will tell us that they’re “takin’ it one game at a time” now?!
Dec 22, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 AM EST
He’ll be under team control through 2019.
Dec 22, 2014, 8:41 AM EST
Taped baseballs and Yankees fans.
Dec 22, 2014, 7:49 AM EST
Understated, it is not.
Dec 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EST
Wil Myers was rumored to be a potential target for the Phillies in a trade involving Cole Hamels, but it turns out the Padres plan to hang on to him.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Wil Ledezma will attempt to return to the major leagues with the Twins after signing a minor league deal.
Dec 21, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Marco Scutaro’s 2014 season was tarnished by a chronic back ailment. The Giants’ training staff is preparing an update on the 39-year-old and it may not be good news.
Dec 21, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
If spring training were to start today, Yankees GM Brian Cashman would have Rob Refsnyder and Jose Pirela compete for the starting job at second base.
In which someone describes A-Rod, B.J. Upton and Ryan Howard as potential offensive options for a team
Dec 21, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
This needs to happen, people.
George Steinbrenner’s foundation will pay for the education of the children of the slain NYPD officer
Dec 21, 2014, 6:50 PM EST
The Silver Shield Foundation has done so for 32 years.
Dec 21, 2014, 5:47 PM EST
It makes a lot of sense. And now, it seems, the clubs themselves are starting to talk about it.
Dec 21, 2014, 4:17 PM EST
Is Smoltz really so different than Curt Schilling and Mike Mussina?
Dec 21, 2014, 2:50 PM EST
The field for James Shields has been winnowed down to a few, namely the Giants and Red Sox.
Dec 21, 2014, 1:35 PM EST
If the Padres want to keep Justin Upton around beyond 2015, they’ll have to hammer out a contract extension before spring training begins.
Dec 21, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Scott Boras says the Orioles should expect to have Matt Wieters behind the plate when the 2015 regular season opens on April 6.
Dec 21, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
A.J. Preller, the second-youngest general manager in Major League Baseball, joined MLB Network this weekend to discuss the Padres’ incredibly active offseason …
Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Matt Kemp was introduced to the San Diego media on Saturday at Petco Park …
Dec 20, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Exciting news for Willie Bloomquist fans.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 12
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 57
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)