Aug 18, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Commissioner Bud Selig recently announced the proposed additions to the sport’s use of instant replay, including the implementation of a challenge system. It was panned almost universally by pundits and fans, and even a majority of managers aren’t looking forward to it. Orioles manager Buck Showalter, however, is not among them.
CSN Baltimore’s Rich Dubroff’s latest article has a ton of quotes from Showalter on the new system. Though his enthusiasm seems a bit subdued, he is happy baseball is embracing the use of technology more and more.
“I knew the capability they had. They can take it as far as you want to take it. When you have to watch a replay three times to see if it’s right or wrong, it shows you the challenge they have. I can’t imagine a harder sport to umpire or officiate,” Showalter said.
“I think you’d be surprised at how little delay there actually is. There’ll be some problems. They haven’t sat down and talked to us and shouldn’t because it actually isn’t until next year.”
While the new system portends to get more calls right than ever before, it still has some obvious flaws, in that the nature of the system will still let otherwise-reviewable plays stand without review, either because a manager is stategically reserving his challenges, or because a manager has already used up his allotment. The system has certainly thrived in the NFL, but as George Carlin told us many years ago, the two sports are very, very different.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)