Aug 18, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera went deep for home run #40 this afternoon, creeping closer and closer to the Major League lead in his quest to obtain a second consecutive Triple Crown. Current leader Chris Davis, though, blasted his 45th home run of the season to keep pace, a two-run blast in the eighth inning against Rockies reliever Edgmer Escalona. The homer put the O’s up 7-2, and reliever Josh Stinson pitched a scoreless ninth to nail down the victory.
Overall, Davis went 4-for-5 with the homer, a double, two RBI, and three runs scored.
Cabrera leads the AL in batting average, .360 to Mike Trout‘s .333. He leads Davis in RBI, 120 to 115, and trails him in home runs, 45 to 40. While the races in the AL East and NL Central certainly portend to be captivating down the stretch, so too will the back-and-forth between the game’s two best sluggers in Cabrera and Davis.
Miguel Cabrera and Chris Davis have homered on the same day 14 times this season, according to @nightengalejr.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) August 18, 2013
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17