Aug 18, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera went deep for home run #40 this afternoon, creeping closer and closer to the Major League lead in his quest to obtain a second consecutive Triple Crown. Current leader Chris Davis, though, blasted his 45th home run of the season to keep pace, a two-run blast in the eighth inning against Rockies reliever Edgmer Escalona. The homer put the O’s up 7-2, and reliever Josh Stinson pitched a scoreless ninth to nail down the victory.
Overall, Davis went 4-for-5 with the homer, a double, two RBI, and three runs scored.
Cabrera leads the AL in batting average, .360 to Mike Trout‘s .333. He leads Davis in RBI, 120 to 115, and trails him in home runs, 45 to 40. While the races in the AL East and NL Central certainly portend to be captivating down the stretch, so too will the back-and-forth between the game’s two best sluggers in Cabrera and Davis.
Miguel Cabrera and Chris Davis have homered on the same day 14 times this season, according to @nightengalejr.
— Jason Beck (@beckjason) August 18, 2013
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27