Aug 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Kirk Gibson’s Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers in the 2011 NLDS, with Ryan Braun going 9-for-18.
It was later revealed that Braun failed a drug test for synthetic testosterone before the start of that series. He initially got out of it with good lawyering but has since been suspended for purchasing performance-enhancers from the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic.
Gibson, understandably, is pretty pissed off about the situation. Here’s what he told reporters, including beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, before Sunday’s series finale against the Pirates:
“If I get a chance to see Braun, I got a question for him, right to his face,” said the Arizona skipper. “Is he about rehearsed by now? About ready to come out? He’s probably been practicing at theater school somewhere. … I’m not surprised he hasn’t addressed people. He probably doesn’t give a (expletive) about me. He’s got it really good. I was one of the guys who went through many things – work stoppages, etc. – so that he could do that. I would hope that he respects me and everybody who stood up for him before he played the game. Everybody looks at it differently, but if he thinks he’s giving back to the game, he has a different idea of how to give back than I do. … There were other times in my career when I did overcome cheaters. We had our chance.”
Braun has been suspended for the rest of the season and is likely to remain hidden from the media spotlight as the final two months play out. Gibson’s Diamondbacks and Braun’s Brewers will meet again in 2014.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 0
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 118
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (118)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)