Aug 18, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
Kirk Gibson’s Diamondbacks lost to the Brewers in the 2011 NLDS, with Ryan Braun going 9-for-18.
It was later revealed that Braun failed a drug test for synthetic testosterone before the start of that series. He initially got out of it with good lawyering but has since been suspended for purchasing performance-enhancers from the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic.
Gibson, understandably, is pretty pissed off about the situation. Here’s what he told reporters, including beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic, before Sunday’s series finale against the Pirates:
“If I get a chance to see Braun, I got a question for him, right to his face,” said the Arizona skipper. “Is he about rehearsed by now? About ready to come out? He’s probably been practicing at theater school somewhere. … I’m not surprised he hasn’t addressed people. He probably doesn’t give a (expletive) about me. He’s got it really good. I was one of the guys who went through many things – work stoppages, etc. – so that he could do that. I would hope that he respects me and everybody who stood up for him before he played the game. Everybody looks at it differently, but if he thinks he’s giving back to the game, he has a different idea of how to give back than I do. … There were other times in my career when I did overcome cheaters. We had our chance.”
Braun has been suspended for the rest of the season and is likely to remain hidden from the media spotlight as the final two months play out. Gibson’s Diamondbacks and Braun’s Brewers will meet again in 2014.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)