Aug 18, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Mejia was removed from his start Saturday against the Padres in the bottom of the fourth inning after complaining of pain in his throwing arm. He’s been pitching with bone chips in his elbow and could undergo season-ending surgery at some point over the next few weeks to finally have them removed.
Mejia, 23, had a promising 2.30 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 27/4 K/BB ratio through 27 1/3 innings (five starts) this season with New York and should be a member of the Mets’ starting rotation on Opening Day 2014.
Greg Burke was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (87)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)