Aug 18, 2013, 4:08 PM EST
Mejia was removed from his start Saturday against the Padres in the bottom of the fourth inning after complaining of pain in his throwing arm. He’s been pitching with bone chips in his elbow and could undergo season-ending surgery at some point over the next few weeks to finally have them removed.
Mejia, 23, had a promising 2.30 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 27/4 K/BB ratio through 27 1/3 innings (five starts) this season with New York and should be a member of the Mets’ starting rotation on Opening Day 2014.
Greg Burke was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)