Aug 18, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Mejia was removed from his start Saturday against the Padres in the bottom of the fourth inning after complaining of pain in his throwing arm. He’s been pitching with bone chips in his elbow and could undergo season-ending surgery at some point over the next few weeks to finally have them removed.
Mejia, 23, had a promising 2.30 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 27/4 K/BB ratio through 27 1/3 innings (five starts) this season with New York and should be a member of the Mets’ starting rotation on Opening Day 2014.
Greg Burke was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)