Aug 18, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Mejia was removed from his start Saturday against the Padres in the bottom of the fourth inning after complaining of pain in his throwing arm. He’s been pitching with bone chips in his elbow and could undergo season-ending surgery at some point over the next few weeks to finally have them removed.
Mejia, 23, had a promising 2.30 ERA, 1.17 WHIP and 27/4 K/BB ratio through 27 1/3 innings (five starts) this season with New York and should be a member of the Mets’ starting rotation on Opening Day 2014.
Greg Burke was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas in a corresponding 25-man roster move.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)