Aug 18, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
The performance netted Scherzer his 18th win — he is now 18-1 — and the home run was Cabrera’s 40th. Scherzer fanned four Kansas City hitters and issued no walks, throwing 76 of his 110 pitches for strikes. He owns a 2.82 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and 185/38 K/BB ratio in 172 1/3 innings this season and is in the hunt for the American League Cy Young Award with guys like Felix Hernandez, Yu Darvish and Chris Sale.
Cabrera, meanwhile, is looking for a second straight American League MVP Award and he has a decent shot at back-to-back Triple Crowns. The 30-year-old slugger boasts a lead in batting average (.360) over Mike Trout (.332) and in RBI (120) over Chris Davis (115). Cabrera trails Davis (45) in home runs by five.
The Tigers are 73-51 with a growing lead in the AL Central and the best run differential (+155) in the majors.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)