Aug 18, 2013, 5:21 PM EDT
The performance netted Scherzer his 18th win — he is now 18-1 — and the home run was Cabrera’s 40th. Scherzer fanned four Kansas City hitters and issued no walks, throwing 76 of his 110 pitches for strikes. He owns a 2.82 ERA, 0.90 WHIP and 185/38 K/BB ratio in 172 1/3 innings this season and is in the hunt for the American League Cy Young Award with guys like Felix Hernandez, Yu Darvish and Chris Sale.
Cabrera, meanwhile, is looking for a second straight American League MVP Award and he has a decent shot at back-to-back Triple Crowns. The 30-year-old slugger boasts a lead in batting average (.360) over Mike Trout (.332) and in RBI (120) over Chris Davis (115). Cabrera trails Davis (45) in home runs by five.
The Tigers are 73-51 with a growing lead in the AL Central and the best run differential (+155) in the majors.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)