Pablo Sandoval hired his oldest brother as personal chef and lost 22 pounds in six weeks

Aug 18, 2013, 11:13 AM EDT

pablo sandoval getty Getty Images

Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com has the details:

Sandoval revealed that he’s dropped 22 pounds in six weeks, and he has his oldest brother, Luis, to thank for it. Luis Sandoval recently graduated from a culinary school in Miami and is under his little brother’s full-time employment as his personal chef.

“Everything healthy,” said the Giants’ third baseman, who beat out an infield single for an important RBI in the club’s 6-4 victory over the Miami Marlins Saturday night. “He goes with me everywhere.”

That’s a pretty sweet gig for Luis and it’s been a breakthrough of sorts for Pablo, who has struggled with his weight his entire career.

Sandoval is having his worst season yet, batting .266/.323/.384 with nine homers and 59 RBI in 104 games. He’ll want to have a big bounceback 2014 campaign before heading into free agency the following winter.

1. kruegere - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Thats like 1750 cals under daily maintenance. Wow. Granted, his maintenance calories are probably in the 3-5k range somewhere.

2. drewsylvania - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Is 3-4 pounds per week healthy?

• hammyofdoom - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM

With big guys at the start of weight loss yeah it is. When i was 315 lbs the first came off pretty quick. Its after the initial loss where it begins to slow down

• shawnuel - Aug 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

hammy is right. I am, unfortunately, a veteran of the weight loss wars and in Dec. 2011, started an exercise/eating regimen that allowed me to take of 198 lbs in about 14 months. The first hundred only took until mid May 2012. After that, 2 lbs per week is what most nutritionists recommend….and I would trust dieticians/nutritionists with diets more than doctors, just as it is their direct field of study.

• sarcasticks - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM

From what I understand, as long as you’re getting adequate nutrients, there is no such thing as losing weight “too fast.” The problem is that in order to lose weight very rapidly, the person is often consuming very little food, making it difficult to fulfill all of the body’s requirements, resulting in nutrient deficiencies. The nutrient deficiencies are where the health risk comes into play. If you can keep your body nutrient sufficient while consuming very few calories, you can safely lose quite a bit of weight rapidly.

3. aceshigh11 - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM

What is it with this guy and yo-yo dieting?

He’s like the Oprah of MLB.

4. Stiller43 - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

When youre that big, it certainly is healthy…if he were 120 and losing that much, i would guess “no.”

• drewsylvania - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It’s the speed of the weight loss I wonder about. Not that it’s a huge difference, but I thought 2 pounds per week was the healthy maximum.

5. abaird2012 - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Must be why he stopped hitting. Be like Prince; embrace the fat.

• ezthinking - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

FYI – In the last week he’s .476/.577/.571 1.148

So I guess he’s re-started hitting lately.

• abaird2012 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Probably been sneaking in some Clark bars …

6. thomas844 - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Losing weight doesn’t always mean success on the field. Just look at CC Sabathia.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

But it’s certainly healthier for him.

• blabidibla - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Of course, the elbow and the his age had little to do with his decline. Must be the weight.

7. waiverclaim - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I love the “He goes with me everywhere” line. Is that like some Josh Hamilton thing where he can only carry a certain amount of money and he has to talk Pablo down: “No Pablo, no donuts, come on, be strong.”

• cohnjusack - Aug 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

As someone who has once eaten an entire box of Chewy Chips-Ahoy in one sitting, I fully understand and empathize with Pablo, and only wish I had the financial resources to have someone follow me around saying “No, you don’t need that Snickers…be strong”.

8. yankeepunk3000 - Aug 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I’m glad his bro his helping him out. I was over wieght for years and my younger brother became my “personal trainer” and I lost 35 pounds got healthy and stayed here. It’d hard I get it and if he’s brother is.keeping an eye on hom even the better. It’s just not some trainer who you look and day F this guy.what does he know. Cause when its your brother it just hits you more when they say NO DONUTS! been there done that. hope Pablo can keep off the wieght. he obviously plays better when he’s not super.heavy

9. cur68 - Aug 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

My weight loss advice: date a personal trainer/nurse. The aerobics are outstanding and you don’t even notice that she’s got you on a calorie burn. Mind you, the dehydration is quite noticeable.

Anyhow, well done Panda. Now, pardon me while I find a glass of water…

10. jonirocit - Aug 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hmm thanks panda for waiting till the team was out of contention and right before your contract year . If they do sign him there better be a weight clause .

11. bbk1000 - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Are we saying Pablo no longer has a Personal Eating Disorder?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3935)