Ryan Dempster hits Alex Rodriguez with a fastball, umpire ejects Joe Girardi

Aug 18, 2013, 8:45 PM EST

Red Sox's Dempster throws against the Blue Jays in the first inning of their American League MLB baseball game in Toronto Reuters

After the Red Sox took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning, third baseman Alex Rodriguez led off the top of the second inning for the Yankees. Sox starter Ryan Dempster‘s first pitch to Rodriguez was a fastball that went behind him towards his legs. Dempster’s next two pitches were waist-high inside, and on the fourth pitch Dempster plunked Rodriguez in the shoulder with a fastball. A very pleased Red Sox crowd became raucous, cheering in support of their pitcher. The benches cleared, but no punches were thrown.

Home plate umpire Brian O’Nora immediately issued warnings to both dugouts. An irate Joe Girardi stormed out of the Yankees dugout pleading for Dempster to be ejected. Instead, Girardi was tossed and the game resumed with Dempster allowed to continue his outing despite the rather obvious intent of his previous four pitches. Yankees starter CC Sabathia did not retaliate on behalf of Rodriguez.

On Friday, Red Sox starter John Lackey told the media that he thinks A-Rod shouldn’t be playing baseball. Girardi fired back, telling Lackey that if he doesn’t like A-Rod’s right to play while he appeals his 211-game suspension, he should help negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement.

Personal battles aside, this is an important game for both teams. At the moment, the 73-52 Red Sox have a tenuous 1.5-game lead over the second-place Rays in the AL East while the 63-59 Yankees are just 6.5 games out of the second Wild Card in the American League.

Update: Here’s a .gif of the first and fourth pitches of the at-bat, courtesy @Triples_Alley.

213 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. easywolf - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Boston and New York, 2 crappy towns with classless people

• Michael Paul Goldenberg - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Oh, really? Having lived in both, I can only wonder what fine metropolis has the privilege of having YOU as a citizen. I’m sure you really raise the level of sophistication there no end.

I know this may come as a shock to you, but those classless towns and classless people are the places where the two largest terrorist attacks on US soil took place. Short memory? Or is baseball so important to you that those things don’t count?

• badintent - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

He lives in a trailer down by the river.Next to the wastewater treatment center.

• historiophiliac - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I’m not sure I follow your argument that being attacked by terrorists makes you classy? Is that what you’re saying? The two paragraphs did not logically follow for me. Or, are you saying a city gets a free pass on the classy/classless debate if they’ve been attacked?

• tmoore11 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM

i wouldnt consider the boston bombing one of the largest in us history, you still have the attack on pearl habor, the OK bombing, and the anthrax attack

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM

No, I think he’s saying that Boston and New York are symbolically important enough to be targets of attacks whereas whatever shithole easywolf inhabits isn’t.

• duvisited - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Ignoring Arlington and Oklahoma City? You must work for ESPN.

• applemask5 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

How do recent terrorist have anything to do with how classy or good a town is?

• blacksables - Aug 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Guess you forgot all about Washington, DC? As do most people, when it comes to terrorist attacks.

• scottmullen1978 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

At least you don’t hide behind a fake name.

• atthebarbershop2 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

tmoore11- If you think Hawaii was part of the United States in 1941, you may want to retake 5th grade U.S. History.

• raysfan1 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Hawaii was not a state yet, but it was part of the USA as a territory.

• ccs1984 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM

And the military base there, like all US Military Bases, was US soil

• yankee172 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Uh oh, someone’s mad their shitty job doesn’t afford them the opportunity to live in Boston or NY
      :-(

• thelt53 - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM

If you think I’d trade drinking fresh, clean water, eat real food and breathing fresh air like I am in Montana for that swill you call water and breathing that brownish-yellow crap “air” in NY and Bean Town you are out of your flipping mind. And I don’t care if you like A-Rod or not. That pitcher should have been ejected for beaning him in the first place. But hey! You Easterners have no class anyway so why get upset?!

• blacksables - Aug 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

How did he bean him when he didn’t hit him in the head?

This site really needs a baseball knowledge test for commenters.

• yankee172 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

All I can say, thelt, is have a nice life of little consequence in Montana. If you really think your air and water are so different from ours that you’re willing to give up interacting with the smart, interesting, diverse people that being in a big city gives you the opportunity to work and live with, then be my guest. We on the east coast like a little more “flavor” in our lives, though, apparently.

And nothing says “classy” like disparaging about 100,000,000 people with one broad stroke.

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Lol @ yankee172 … I’m sure you do something real important there in New York City. You will probably leave an indelible mark on the course of humanity … for the better of course.

Morons like you are why I hated living in New York City and would not consider ever for a second living there again for any amount of money. After all, the place itself is fine, it’s just the people that suck.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Let me guess: Republican?

• davemvh - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:14 AM

really asshole,and where do you live???

• rngrmyk - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Boston, New York, Republican, Democrat… WTF? You are all missing the big picture. As Bill Baer has pointed out, Alex Rodriguez is a FREAK OF NATURE. His shoulder is located where a normal man’s elbow is. THAT is strange.

• rngrmyk - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:19 PM

on the fourth pitch Dempster plunked Rodriguez in the shoulder with a fastball…

2. chip56 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

As a Yankee fan my thing is that with Alex around the Yankees aren’t about baseball – they’re about Alex. Take this game for example. If the Yankees hold onto win, that’s 2 of 3 that they needed to have, CC still looks awful but the offense is coming up big – but what’s the story going to be?? Alex.

And whether it’s steroids or other things, through the years as his play has declined the drama around him just keeps getting worse. I’m just tired of it, of him, and I it makes it harder for me to enjoy the game and team that I’ve loved all my life.

• jj19871 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

you’re dumb

• reiscr - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

And you’re dumber!!

• gissiez - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Dude, I’ve been a devout Sox fan for awhile now but that right there?

• atthebarbershop2 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

That’s exactly what MLB wants fans to feel and think. Ever wonder why, of all the stuff that has leaked out about A-Rod, not one thing that has leaked out proves he used drugs? Why is that? Could it be that MLB has no proof?

• davemvh - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Are you REALLY that stupid??or do you work at it?

• chip56 - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM

You mean other than the test results that proved he used drugs?

3. baller2stunna - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Honestly, Dempster would have been bloodied by A-Roid but can he really stand facing another suspension? Who cares about beaming, it’s part of baseball; Clemens lived off it in Boston, Toronto, Texas, and New York. Just be prepared to knuckle up. I do wish Rod didn’t pull a Piazza vs Clemens; he’s on my team and though I’m not a fan of him he might as well “go out swinging”! They hate him anyway, so if they’re gonna f*ck with him he might s well leave with a backbone.

• scottmullen1978 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Salty would have Arod’s face in the dirt before he got to Dempster

• baller2stunna - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Salty is a big boy, good point!

• dannyfunaro - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Not necessarily. Arod is six foot three 225 in great shape.

• Arods Other Doctor - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:19 PM

danyfunaro, have you ever seen Alex try to get physical? It’s pretty girly.

4. jonesy999 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

A-Fraud, the most overrated player of all time, playing for the most overrated team of all time……I wish Dempster had hit him in his fat lying head

• yankee172 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

When you call the yankees and Arod overrated, are you talking about in their current states? Because I don’t think anyone rates either particularly high at this point.

Or are you talking historically? Because then you have absolutely no argument. I’d love to see some comparisons between the overrated yankees and some “underrated” teams. Same with Arod and some underrated players.

Either way, you have no idea what you’re talking about, hoss.

• reiscr - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Amen to that!! This man has SINGLE-HANDEDLY disgraced the game of baseball; and, of course, he’s a New York Yankee!! And there are OTHER Yankee players on that list as well??

• reiscr - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Amen!!

5. hbk72777 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM

The fat ump just got hit in the throat

Karma’s a bitch

6. bobwadas - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

One day a player is going to get hit with an intentional bean-ball and die and that crap will stop. Doesnt take a tough guy standing 60ft away throwing a ball at him. If your such a badass fight man to man. If I was a player who had a ball thrown at me I would throw my bat right back at him !

• cwsfan - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

@bobwadas: Too bad you didn’t play baseball in the Chicago Park District about 50-55 years ago. With a lot of covert practice a batter who was hit would within the next two times up, swing as hard as he could just as the pitcher was releasing the ball. Oops! The bat would slip out of his hands and go straight for the pitcher. An alternative was when the pitcher was on first base as a runner and a ground ball was hit. The pivot man would touch second and then hit the pitcher square in his chest with a hard thrown ball that was of course meant for the first baseman for a double play. Payback was rough in my day.

• pillowporkers - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM

ummm…this has already happened. look up ray chapman.

• blacksables - Aug 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM

This a great point, because the unintentional beanballs don’t really hurt.

7. reallymann - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I wonder why MLB has never talked about the thousand + players (????) taking PED’s from 1992 forward recovering from surgery and recovery issues… Maybe because they have made billions of dollars off these players… People, don’t be so stupid, this is a witch hunt to distract you and save team major $$$$$ in contracts… It’s really sad the way we put athletes on pedestals and allow the media to call them cheaters… It always seems they are stars that we call out as cheaters. Without them, ESPN would be bankrupt along with MLB…..

• reiscr - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:31 AM

In my eyes, baseball is DEAD!! I will NEVER attend a MLB game ever again!! And I have a franchise in my home town!! I don’t care if they make the damn playoffs; I will NEVER go to another MLB game again!! This game’s integrity is forever tarnished and the performance records mean absolutely NOTHING anymore because there are asterisks after just about EVERY player’s name!! Who wants to watch a bunch of dopers and cheaters? And most of this is Bud Selig’s fault because he allowed it to happen on his watch!!

8. egrogyro - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I once saw an article 35 years ago that still applies now, The Woody Hayes postulate of human dynamics; which states that a jerk in motion will stay in motion until the board of regents come to their senses.And woe to you if you run into another jerk and he’s got a hammer.

9. davcamp2 - Aug 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My editorial on it… http://ynit.me/14sOn4n

essentially it’s payback from all the players who hate what he’s doing to MLB’s reputation right now. Nobody wants you here. Of course, he then hits a home run. just adds fuel to the flame.

• basedrum777 - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Your editorial huh, Woodward? No one wants your fucking take.

10. bigdaddy44 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

bigharold,
    I take it English is not your first language.

11. bigdaddy44 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

bigharold,
    Two things are obvious from reading your posts. English is not your first language. You are an A-Rod lover and are obviously in denial of the reality of what has happened, as reported. You really need to go back to your “O.J., Ray Lewis and Aaron Hernandez are innocent” schtick!

• jvc856 - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Despicable what Dempster did! . This Sox fan is ashamed of his actions and had nothing to do with the rivalry..This Biogenesis thing should play nothing here.Dempster should be suspended for this act and the fans who cheered him on should bear some shame as well.

12. insidefastball - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Glad to see Sabathia did not retaliate. I can only hope that more teams follow Boston’s approach. If the players do not want this guy playing, there is a simple way to address the matter. If they hit him every time he comes up, he won’t be fit to play after a couple of days. Pitchers could do this safely, as ARod is far too weak to actually charge the mound. He would get his head in his hands. I’d love to see him try though…..It would be worse than when Canseco tried boxing.

• youngyankee - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM

wow. you’re ridiculous. I don’t even wanna know what kind of violence you hope for Braun..

I’m glad CC didn’t retaliate because this is a huge game for the yanks to have won.

• youngyankee - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

and beaming someone, who’s entitled to the same rights afforded to you as well, is a real bitch move.

• kbazzel - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

CC may have retalliated for the horrible warning from the Ump. Recall a ball four fastball that he threw and beaned the ump in the neck. Wasn’t even touched by Stewart

• davemvh - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Sabathia didnt retaliate because he couldnt hit the broad side of a barn with a cannon ball.

• 1historian - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

“ARod is far too weak to actually charge the mound.”

But he IS strong enough to hit a 446 ft. home run.

• 1historian - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

addendum – off the same guy who hit him 4 innings earlier.

• reiscr - Aug 20, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Must be doping again!!!

13. bosoxfan15 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Pearl Harbor was not a terrorist attack. It was a military attack. I hope more of a-roids peers drill him for snitching. Snitches get stitches!

14. aceshigh11 - Aug 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Where’s Don Zimmer’s big, bulbous, bald head when Pedro needs it?

15. beachsidejames - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Going after Arod over and over again was dumb. Boston has had its own players that took the drugs too. Its not like Arod is the only one that has done it.

• jvc856 - Aug 19, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Yes and the Boston player apologized and admitted he was wrong,never lied afterwards and never tried to cover up investigations as well as never ratted out other players to take eyes off his situation….

• basedrum777 - Aug 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

ummm… I don’t remember big papi apologizing. Or Manny. GFY

16. basedrum777 - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Listen I dislike Arod as much as the next guy and think he should be suspended for life. That being said Dempster should’ve been tossed. He threw at a guy 4 times intentionally and just didn’t connect until No. 4. NO pitcher can do that and not get tossed. Its a joke.

17. kbazzel - Aug 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Girardi was avenged. Stewart let a 4th ball fastball go into the neck of Ump. Intentional?

18. jdillydawg - Aug 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Well good for Dempster for taking things into his own hands. Obviously, he too, is unhappy with the collective bargaining agreement and decided to make his opinion known.

I hate crap like this. I don’t think A-Rod should be playing, but I don’t think players should be going all vigilante on him either. Watch that glass house, Dempster, they tend to fall pretty quick when you’re not paying attention.

Btw, what’s up with the first 50 comments on here being about how classy or not classy these two towns are? This is why I hate this shit. Who talks baseball anymore. Bunch of pussies on this board who dig the drama more it seems.

19. youngyankee - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

can someone tell me why ARod should not be playing right now?

Selig gave him 211 games. does anyone think that was fair??

lets stick to facts and precedence:

melky – failed a drug test. came up with a bogus website to cover it up and he got 50 games.

braun – failed a drug test. appealed. won. now with biogenisis he got 65 games.

arod, papi and others in 03 – before the JDA so no suspensions.

so how in the world is 211 a fair number here that arod should have to accept it it sit?

20. tbroome81 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:10 PM

If I was John Farrell, I would have ordered my pitcher to hit A-Rod during every plate appearance he made. I have no problem taking an ejection, fine, and suspension because A-Rod is a fake, lying, cry-baby douchebag who has made a mockery of the game. He juiced in Seattle, he juiced in Texas, and he has juiced in New York. I would blast him with a 95 MPH heater square between his shoulder blades. I’d even consider doming him, I despise him that much. And I’m not the only one!

21. tbroome81 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM

And Girardi probably got ejected not for arguing, but for coming within 3 inches of putting the ump to sleep with a haymaker.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester