Aug 18, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
It sure looks like the battle for the National League Central will be going down to the wire this season.
Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke decided to get most of his regressing out of the way in one start, yielding eight runs on 10 hits over just two innings Saturday night in a 15-5 blowout loss to the Diamondbacks. The Cardinals, a bit earlier in the day, took care of business at Wrigley Field, blanking the rival Cubs 4-0 with Yadier Molina homering for the first time since his knee sprain. The Reds couldn’t muster any offense at Milwaukee’s Miller Park, falling 2-0.
Pittsburgh is 72-50 with a two-game division lead over the 70-52 Redbirds. Cincy (69-54) is 3 1/2 back.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Nationals 8, Braves 7 (15 innings)
Astros 5, Angels 6 (10 innings)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 35
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)