Aug 18, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
It sure looks like the battle for the National League Central will be going down to the wire this season.
Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke decided to get most of his regressing out of the way in one start, yielding eight runs on 10 hits over just two innings Saturday night in a 15-5 blowout loss to the Diamondbacks. The Cardinals, a bit earlier in the day, took care of business at Wrigley Field, blanking the rival Cubs 4-0 with Yadier Molina homering for the first time since his knee sprain. The Reds couldn’t muster any offense at Milwaukee’s Miller Park, falling 2-0.
Pittsburgh is 72-50 with a two-game division lead over the 70-52 Redbirds. Cincy (69-54) is 3 1/2 back.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Nationals 8, Braves 7 (15 innings)
Astros 5, Angels 6 (10 innings)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)