Aug 18, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
It sure looks like the battle for the National League Central will be going down to the wire this season.
Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke decided to get most of his regressing out of the way in one start, yielding eight runs on 10 hits over just two innings Saturday night in a 15-5 blowout loss to the Diamondbacks. The Cardinals, a bit earlier in the day, took care of business at Wrigley Field, blanking the rival Cubs 4-0 with Yadier Molina homering for the first time since his knee sprain. The Reds couldn’t muster any offense at Milwaukee’s Miller Park, falling 2-0.
Pittsburgh is 72-50 with a two-game division lead over the 70-52 Redbirds. Cincy (69-54) is 3 1/2 back.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Nationals 8, Braves 7 (15 innings)
Astros 5, Angels 6 (10 innings)
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 267
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (268)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)