Aug 19, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
We saw one waiver trade earlier today, with the Cubs sending outfielder David DeJesus to the Nationals for a player to be named later, but there could be more wheeling and dealing in the days ahead.
Of course, just because a player is on waivers doesn’t mean they’ll be dealt. If they are claimed, the Angels can work out a trade with the claiming team, let them go, or pull them back. If they pass through waivers unclaimed, they can be traded to any team.
Aybar is owed $8.5 million per season through 2016 while Vargas is due to become a free agent following the season. We heard last month that the Cardinals had talked to the Angels about Aybar.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 5
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)