Aug 19, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
We saw one waiver trade earlier today, with the Cubs sending outfielder David DeJesus to the Nationals for a player to be named later, but there could be more wheeling and dealing in the days ahead.
Of course, just because a player is on waivers doesn’t mean they’ll be dealt. If they are claimed, the Angels can work out a trade with the claiming team, let them go, or pull them back. If they pass through waivers unclaimed, they can be traded to any team.
Aybar is owed $8.5 million per season through 2016 while Vargas is due to become a free agent following the season. We heard last month that the Cardinals had talked to the Angels about Aybar.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)