Aug 19, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
We saw one waiver trade earlier today, with the Cubs sending outfielder David DeJesus to the Nationals for a player to be named later, but there could be more wheeling and dealing in the days ahead.
Of course, just because a player is on waivers doesn’t mean they’ll be dealt. If they are claimed, the Angels can work out a trade with the claiming team, let them go, or pull them back. If they pass through waivers unclaimed, they can be traded to any team.
Aybar is owed $8.5 million per season through 2016 while Vargas is due to become a free agent following the season. We heard last month that the Cardinals had talked to the Angels about Aybar.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)