Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Out since late July with a strained forearm, Orioles right-hander Jason Hammel is scheduled to throw off flat ground twice before advancing to a mound session Friday.
Daniel Gallen of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will likely make at least two minor-league rehab starts before coming off the disabled list, which means he’ll be cutting things close in terms of when the actual minor-league season ends.
If all goes well Hammel could be ready to rejoin the Orioles in early September, giving their rotation another option for the stretch run. Hammel hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-best 2012 performance, posting a 5.20 ERA in 21 starts before the DL stint.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48