Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Out since late July with a strained forearm, Orioles right-hander Jason Hammel is scheduled to throw off flat ground twice before advancing to a mound session Friday.
Daniel Gallen of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will likely make at least two minor-league rehab starts before coming off the disabled list, which means he’ll be cutting things close in terms of when the actual minor-league season ends.
If all goes well Hammel could be ready to rejoin the Orioles in early September, giving their rotation another option for the stretch run. Hammel hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-best 2012 performance, posting a 5.20 ERA in 21 starts before the DL stint.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)