Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Out since late July with a strained forearm, Orioles right-hander Jason Hammel is scheduled to throw off flat ground twice before advancing to a mound session Friday.
Daniel Gallen of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will likely make at least two minor-league rehab starts before coming off the disabled list, which means he’ll be cutting things close in terms of when the actual minor-league season ends.
If all goes well Hammel could be ready to rejoin the Orioles in early September, giving their rotation another option for the stretch run. Hammel hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-best 2012 performance, posting a 5.20 ERA in 21 starts before the DL stint.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)