Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Out since late July with a strained forearm, Orioles right-hander Jason Hammel is scheduled to throw off flat ground twice before advancing to a mound session Friday.
Daniel Gallen of the Baltimore Sun reports that Hammel will likely make at least two minor-league rehab starts before coming off the disabled list, which means he’ll be cutting things close in terms of when the actual minor-league season ends.
If all goes well Hammel could be ready to rejoin the Orioles in early September, giving their rotation another option for the stretch run. Hammel hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-best 2012 performance, posting a 5.20 ERA in 21 starts before the DL stint.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)