Jon Hamm’s baseball movie is coming out in May

Aug 19, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT

jon hamm cardinals Getty Images

“Mad Men” actor Jon Hamm stars in an upcoming baseball movie called “Million Dollar Arm” about the Pirates signing Indian cricket players Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel by way of a reality television show.

And now the movie has a release date, as Marc Graser of Variety reports that it will come out on May 16, 2014.

Hamm–who’s a big Cardinals fan in real life–plays the pitchers’ agent and the cast also includes Alan Arkin. “Million Dollar Arm” is directed by Craig Gillespie, who made “Lars and the Real Girl” with Ryan Gosling a while back.

1. historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Please, please have a lot of scenes with his shirt off. Agents walk around without shirts all the time, right?

• El Bravo - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I’ve seen Hamm w/o a shirt. Not impressed. Plus, I’m fairly certain he’s juicin’.

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM

You must be kidding. Mmmmm, great hair pattern.

• kevinbnyc - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

All those scenes in Mad Men when he’s flipping out?? Classic roid rage. That’s all the evidence I need.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

His chest hair has got NOTHING on Gary Player. ;)

That’s never going to get old.

• historiophiliac - Aug 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM

…unlike Gary Player.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 20, 2013 at 12:36 AM

ZING!

2. kingscourt25 - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

starring Clayton Kershaw

3. eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:32 PM

You shouldn’t assume that Rinku and Dinesh were/are cricket players because they are from India. They were both javelin throwers.

Seach the Walkoff Walk archives for all the Million Dollar Arm coverage you could possibly want.

• Aaron Gleeman - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I wrote that they played cricket in India because they played cricket in India.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM

“In fact, neither had played cricket. Both pursued track, specializing in the javelin.”

“Singh and Patel were javelin throwers in high school.” No mention of cricket.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Regardless if they had played cricket before in India, both seem to be identified as javelin throwers.

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Come on Gleeman…you succumbing to racial stereotypes is painfully obvious.

*s/

• stlouis1baseball - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Wow. Again Man? Really?
      Please…for the love of God…NO!

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Again, what? Trying to set the record straight on a story I’ve been following since day 1?

• Aaron Gleeman - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

MLB.com:

“Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel, the former cricket-playing hurlers from India …”

USA Today:

“Dinesh Patel and Rinku Singh, cricket players who had not picked up a baseball until April …”

About a million more references to them playing cricket:

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I assume that these are echoing the same error based on assumption. Both competed in javelin. They had aspirations in javelin. Some sources say Rinku dabbled in cricket. It is odd, and I think incorrect to label them as cricket players.

“Yoga is so relaxing; it really is a big stress reliever. We’ve been doing it since our javelin days.” -Rinku

“He ask us what we would do if we were throwing Javelin against man who throw farther than our best throw” -Rinku

“Deepesh sir spotted a flaw in my body positioning while I pitched. I was told that javelin has affected my technique.” -Dinesh

“Throwing should be easier I guess, what with our experience in javelin and all.” -Rinku

All mentions of cricket on their blog are for comparisons to baseball

• asimonetti88 - Aug 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Clearly you can only play one sport. It is not possible to be both a javelin thrower AND a cricket player.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Except they aren’t cricket players. I play pickup basketball once every few months. This does not make me a basketball player. However, they both received athletic scholarships to throw javelin. They never talk about playing cricket. It has never been confirmed that they have even played cricket. They were/are javelin throwers.

4. eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The Million Dollar Blog: http://www.themilliondollararm.com/blog/

5. Aaron Gleeman - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Fair enough. If the info is wrong, my apologies. Just going by what I’ve seen written and reported numerous times.

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I didn’t mean to come off as a dick. And yes it has been reported numerous times. I’ve read every WOW post and Million Dollar Arm Blog post, so I might be a little too invested in this story. At least you didn’t big-league me a la Gammons …

• eightyraw - Aug 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM

If the info is wrong …

It is wrong to call them cricket player.

6. jcmdcp - Aug 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

“After traveling around the country and auditioning some 40,000 kids, a pool of 30 contestants was chosen, with Singh and Patel eventually winning. Neither had touched a baseball. In fact, neither had played cricket. Both pursued track, specializing in the javelin.”

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)