Aug 19, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Not an original thought — I saw a lot of people including Keith Law say it last night — but after Ryan Dempster clearly and repeatedly threw at Alex Rodriguez last night, they have to suspend him, don’t they? If they don’t, doesn’t every pitcher in baseball get carte blanche to throw at A-Rod too?
What’s more, if you don’t suspend Dempster in that situation — a situation in which almost every other pitcher gets a suspension — don’t you give fuel to A-Rod’s “Major League Baseball is Out to Get Me” defense his lawyers have been floating lately?
It seems clear, but I feel like silly thinking like this from Joel Sherman may prove pretty common too:
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) August 19, 2013
A “tacit defense?” Not sure how it could be seen that way. It would really just be a matter of enforcing the rules that have always existed. And, as we noted earlier, it’s not at all clear that’s why Dempster was throwing at Rodriguez anyway.
Strip away the drama and it’s a pretty simple situation: one player was acting in a low rent fashion, the other was shaking it all off and leading his team to victory in such a manner as it could very well turn their season around.
All Hail A-Rod.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)