Aug 19, 2013, 9:32 AM EDT
Not an original thought — I saw a lot of people including Keith Law say it last night — but after Ryan Dempster clearly and repeatedly threw at Alex Rodriguez last night, they have to suspend him, don’t they? If they don’t, doesn’t every pitcher in baseball get carte blanche to throw at A-Rod too?
What’s more, if you don’t suspend Dempster in that situation — a situation in which almost every other pitcher gets a suspension — don’t you give fuel to A-Rod’s “Major League Baseball is Out to Get Me” defense his lawyers have been floating lately?
It seems clear, but I feel like silly thinking like this from Joel Sherman may prove pretty common too:
— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) August 19, 2013
A “tacit defense?” Not sure how it could be seen that way. It would really just be a matter of enforcing the rules that have always existed. And, as we noted earlier, it’s not at all clear that’s why Dempster was throwing at Rodriguez anyway.
Strip away the drama and it’s a pretty simple situation: one player was acting in a low rent fashion, the other was shaking it all off and leading his team to victory in such a manner as it could very well turn their season around.
All Hail A-Rod.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)